30g issues maybe someone can help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdJarka

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 g w/2 hydor 425 power heads, they say that it it enough flow but I am not sure. I have green hair algae and red slime algae growing. My Ph is 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 60. I already have chem pure and a phosguard bags installed. Where would be the best position to aim my power heads? I have cleaned my LR,but it seems to come back. I have a AquaC Remora skimmer,cascade 700 . I've done 20% water changes weekly.i just can't seem to control it. Any help would be great thanks.

You need to get your nitrates down, 60 is really high. The nutrients is where the algae is comming from, if you can get your trates down and if phosphates are low the algae will diminish.

My nitrates use to be higher. Don't know why, feed every other dat and I watch how much I feed them.the skimmer I had before was crap. I just got a AquaC remora skimmer, I'm waiting for it to break in.

Remora is also crap, sorry to say. It might be ok on a 30 though. Definitely have to get the nitrates down. They are coming from somewhere. What and how much are you feeding?

I feed them flake and miscie shrimp. Flake less then a pinch and shrimp enough till they finish, it is less then 1/6 tsp.i was cleaning the filter once a month, I think that was the problem. Now I clean it once a week.

Pen plax? I have a chemi-pure bag and phosphate guard bag that has aluminum oxide. My filter is a cascade 700 which is good up to 65 gal.

I have 2 hydor koralia 425 with a smart wave controller which I'm not sure where to aim them.

What does your tank look like now? is the sand still white like the avatar? I'm thinking this was all caused by the filter and now it's going to take some doing to remove it. Water changes, reduced feedings, and time. make sure water is flowing through the media in the filter and not around it.

It looks like some extra nutrients in the water but have you double checked the test results to make sure they are actually that high?

No I never doubled checked. I use a liquid master tester .and because I got this hair algie and this red algie I figured my tester was correct.

RO water not Di , from 2different stores self serve I usually checked when they were service

Thanks, I am pretty much doin what it says. I guess it will take some time to clear up.

Do you think you need more flow? IME, flow doesn't cure cyanobacteria. I have had it on the outputs of power heads and no where else. Lack of flow does cause nutrient build up however. What do you see when you look in the tank? Piles of uneaten food and fish poop in low flow areas? If so, you need more flow.

I thought I had enough with 2 425's. maybe I have them aimed in the wrong positions. I have one pointed toward the rear and top of rocks the other is in frt of the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom