Two rescued pond goldfish - two different swim issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeeEmm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I found two smallish goldfish in a bad state in a very poorly maintained pond.

Fish One:

The fish was lying sideways in a mess of murky algae, just keeping its head above the algal blanket, rest of body submerged. The fish seemed almost lifeless but moved quickly to another spot when I gently prodded. Took him/her home & put in a small tank. Remains at bottom on side. Upped the temperature, administered some antibiotic via water (external, not in a feed), aquarium salt added, a proprietary swim bladder treatment administered, air stone included, all to no avail. Difficult to feed too as it has spewed out any food presented to its mouth bar one tiny piece and most times won't open its mouth when food is presented. Not sure if I can do anything else as there has been no change in its condition in a week. Yet, the fish looks healthy albeit that its dorsal fin is closed down Any suggestions or is it time to euthanize?

Fish Two:

Excessively bloated (symmetrically) and floating upside down. But no sign of dropsy or raised scales. Put the fish in my own pond where it floats as per usual but does right itself every few minutes and can submerge for 30 seconds or so before returning to upside float position. Does not seem to be otherwise distressed and will greedily attempt to eat food. Any thoughts on whether this fish can be righted to enjoy a full life? (I have not treated this fish yet and really am not sure what could help it as it is so bloated).

Thanks for reading this.

Fish 2 sounds like a swim bladder issue. Try fasting for a few days and then feeding cooked peeled peas.
I'm not sure what I'd wrong with Fish 1, just keep the water pristine for now.

Hello Dee...

Clean up the water. Remove and replace a little more water and a little more often. Include a little standard aquarium salt. A couple of teaspoons for every five gallons of new, treated tap water. Spirulina is a high nutrient and fiber food. I would start including this in the fishes' diet every other day. The clean water, salt and higher fiber will hopefully get the fish on the road to recovery.

B

Back
Top Bottom