320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Read through the build early on and then again today. Bummer that your investment hasn't provided any returns yet but its only a matter of time if you can hang in there. Its disappointing that the wait is due to the rock and PH issues. Do you know for sure that the PH will even drop to safe levels in the future? Would be a shame if you keep waiting and waiting for something that won't happen - or won't happen for a long long time.

Also was wondering if you have plans for a new sump tank (maybe I missed it). Do you plan on enclosing the stand to hide the sump? If not perhaps building a custom sump with a large refugeium towards the front would be an idea? I built my own acrylic sump tank (albeit only 40 gallons) with multiple chambers which was a fun experience - perhaps that would give you something to do while you wait for the PH?

Anyway, impressive undertaking - lots of courage for sure. :)

Green, how are you handling the PH? Did you leave the rock intank or did you remove some or most of the rock. I know that when I did my rocks it seemed forever but the wait was worth it.

Read through the build early on and then again today. Bummer that your investment hasn't provided any returns yet but its only a matter of time if you can hang in there. Its disappointing that the wait is due to the rock and PH issues. Do you know for sure that the PH will even drop to safe levels in the future? Would be a shame if you keep waiting and waiting for something that won't happen - or won't happen for a long long time.

Also was wondering if you have plans for a new sump tank (maybe I missed it). Do you plan on enclosing the stand to hide the sump? If not perhaps building a custom sump with a large refugeium towards the front would be an idea? I built my own acrylic sump tank (albeit only 40 gallons) with multiple chambers which was a fun experience - perhaps that would give you something to do while you wait for the PH?

Anyway, impressive undertaking - lots of courage for sure. :)

The PH is slowly dropping about .1 per week... so that's a while if it stays at .1... but because of the scale that PH is on the last couple .1's should be faster. It will happen it's just a matter of time. And I will wait it out.

For the sump I will be keeping the totes that I have for now, because my floor is not level and I don't have the clearance to build a small stand or level platform. Once I get things going I will be lighting my "sump" and turning into a refuge. While I wait for the PH I can catch up on some renovations and business paperwork... as well as spend a little time with my girls. :D

Green, how are you handling the PH? Did you leave the rock intank or did you remove some or most of the rock. I know that when I did my rocks it seemed forever but the wait was worth it.

I'm leaving it in the tank (many pieces can't be taken out with the tank on stand.) To lower the PH I'm adding acetic acid in a 5% solution. Once the PH is stabilized I will be doing a 98% water change. On a side note I have a small 15g FW tank with some neon tetras, 2 swordtails, and a pleco. So I am not completely fishless.

Good show. You are almost there so keep the faith. When you reach your PH point please wait another week before adding any life to the tank. With your size tank you can get away with a couple of cheap Damels that could add a nice mix to your tank without any aggression problems that can happen with a smaller tank.

I might add some Chromis first but that is the only kind of damsel I plan on putting in. Don't worry thincat I have lost my desire to rush... I was trying to get fish in and a stable tank for a local frag swap we just had... I was going to buy some nice SPS... now that is over and I see that time is now my friend instead of the enemy.

I can't wait to see it bloom. You'll have it in no time at all.

How far is the top of the tank from the ceiling? The pic of your helper shows the top, does that mean where glass ends? or how far lights are from ceiling? Looks like it might be hard to get into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew, just got through all ten pages. I should have + quoted as i went.

The LEDs are awesome. My LFS has two over a 20 and they have maxi carpet nems in it. There is a spray coating they make to protect the solders from salt.

Before the sump broke, there was sand in the return pump area. Bad Idea. Now with the three separate buckets you will only get flow through the bulkheads, which is OK. But fuges need good flow too. make sure a return and a drain cross the fuge. If you want plankton growth put the 6500Ks down there on a time opposite the tank light time. Ph may not have been just from the rocks.

Why not a coast to coast drain rather than the vertical one? with the bulkheads at the top, anything below the bulkhead is a waste. Then you could have done the bean animal style and had a measure of safety.

With the utmost respect, I think what I see is in your "experiment" you are testing the limits of what can be done rather than what has been found to work in most cases. for example the drilling of the side glass for the closed loop. if you were dead set on closed loop there is a very easy way to hang the outlets into the water on motorized elbows that randomize the output to avoid dead spots on such a large tank. Wavemakers, and programmable power heads would have been a huge improvement. the sun, my window only gets late afternoon light, and you can see the spots where the algae grows magnificently. in my 75 it is easy to trim and remove. this will be impossible in your tank. But I like the green and wavy background. the silicate sand? only time will tell. The lack of skimmer and the overstocking, again time will tell.

One last thing, a fellow reefer that made his own 800 gallon acrylic tank (Freaking Awesome) with DIY led's and such, also built a small room outside of his home for the sump and all the other equipment. if you were to put a shed outside, you would have a lot more room for the eventual calcium reactor, Kalk stirrer, phosban reactor, skimmer, algae srubber, etc. Of course being in the great white north, insulation would be a friend.

I hope your lack of posting is only because nothing is changing. but like I said above the Ph may not only be from the rock, of which, you could remove and throw back into the ocean. and start with a little natural LR which can go in the sump later.

Well It's been a while... I had some troubles with PH so I was having to flush the system as often as I had time... I forgot the water was on at one point and it flooded my house... so I left the tank empty for a while. I have been waiting for an apex controller to come on sale, not having any luck there. I have also been really busy with family and work... also my car ended up getting totaled as well. Anyways... I'm working on the tank again. I filled it with fresh water last week PH got up to 8.2 I emptied it today and re-filled it. I will be doing it again next week until I get a stable PH. I will try to post here next week as well and answer any questions.
Poorguy2050: The tank is 10½" from the ceiling. The lights are 3" from the ceiling and can slide 6" towards the back of the tank if needed. Currently as long as I don't gain any weight I can slide into the tank on my chest... I wouldn't say it's easy access but even when it was on the ground I still accessed the bottom of the tank with my stomach resting on the euro bracing... or climbed in... but with the rock in there I won't be climbing in.

I hate to say I told you so, but this is what I said back on 4-29-10.
Good luck with this project. ....... You are heading for disaster.
No matter how hard you try, some things can not be changed.
I think it's safe to say your experiment failed before it even started.

Back
Top Bottom