330 Gal filtration system - new user.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sakana_

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I live in Czech Republic and I'm not new to the hobby, but not veteran either, tho I do my fish stuff with passion.

I'm moving out this year and I had to sell my 120G tank, wood fishes & everything. (Still got 3 small tanks left, which will move with me, shrimps galaxy razbora etc)

Here is my 120G when it was active.

Now that I'm done introducing myself to the issue:

I will go for the biggest tank my new place can hold without ruining the structure, which will be a 225x90x60 cm or for my friends from the states 7.3'x3'x2' 1215 liters or cca 328 gal.

Initially I wanted to go for oscars, some silver dollars and bottom dwellers, but after some weeks of thinking I will go for 1 silver aro, school of silver dollars(metynnis maculatus variant) and motoro ray or leopoldi ray (single) on the bottom (depends on the market).

Since I'm limited by weight .. i cannot get a tank + sump filter.. i decided to put the filter inside (no piping outside the tank) here's a diagram. Not here to discuss that, it's gonna be inside. No canister filters either.

On the diagram you can see that the swimming space for the fish is 200x90 which should be enough for these fish considering there will only be 1 aro 1 ray and school of smaller fish (15cm silver dollars).
I will have the water & drainage near the tank so water changes will not be an issue.
Pumps will be either Jebao or something similar (intended flow from both pumps choked at 1000L/H each) adding bunch of tunze turbelle to create good flow in the tank.
225x90.jpg

I pretty much have a very good idea how the filter could look, here is another diagram, please comment on it.

filter6.png

the first chamber is the intake from AQ and there will be a net so the fish wont get in.. now why is it so big you say, well because I want to add some sort of mechanical filtration in there. That's the only thing I'm unsure of how to do properly.. I thought of using the aquael turbo 2000 internal chamber filter to do that another diagram:

filter7.png

What do you guys think, or do you have a better solution for this first chamber ? I want to lessen the particles & waste that gets to the sponges area.

as for parts of the actual filter: starting from chamber to the left: blue is a sponge which will lessen the sounds that the overflow makes, below it is plastic that will hold it and allow good flow to the pumps (there will be 2 pumps hence 2 pipes inside of the chamber), pumps sit on sponge as to lessen noise.
next mini chamber is 3 cm and is dedicated to create good flow, the 20 cm chamber is purely out of ceramic bio filtration media that will be in a netted bag, so i can easily take it out when needed. We get another small chamber for for flow and then we have the sponges, I am not sure if it should be 20 ppi to 10 ppi left to right (coarse first) or just both of them 20 ppi, because there will be less waste coming.

The big question is how to do the first chamber properly. In ideal solution I would only clean the filter in first chamber ie - take out clean, put it back.. once in a few weeks. And the actual bio media would not get cleaned in months.. all depends on how well the mechanical ones work.. Also what would you put inside of it? Picture related, the chambers are stackable.. up to the height of the tank basically.. I think 3 & 3 would be enough. No sponge there, just that plastic intake.

190909d1457962568t-330-gal-tank-filtration-aquael-_wpnpxas.jpg

Sorry for so much text, but it's easier to understand if I write this much

Thank you for your time

Cheers.

Hi, I have to go back and read this again I think. The diagrams and everything were really interesting and appreciated the share. :)

I had a look at my canister filters which are only for the 4 to 6ft tanks. I would look at (if I have chambers correct), two of coarse sponge around 15ppi. A third with 35ppi to polish the water more. The last chamber would have the ceramic bio-media.

Back
Top Bottom