35 gallon tank how many fish can i have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vthokies07

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a nice thirty five gallon tank with the filter and heater we are wanting neon tetras black skirts maybe rosy tetras and some guppies we are new to the aquarium stuff and wondering if these fish would be good tank mates and how many of each I could possibly have successfully thanks in advance!

A good way that may help is 1 inch in fish size to every gallon of water

The thing is, all those fish are going to occupy the same place in the tank, middle-upper.

Why not choose 12 tetra. 6 of 2 of the species you mention, some bottom dwellers like sterbai corys (if having a sand or extra smooth gravel) and a centre piece like a pearl gourami.

I will say something against rosy tetra, they can bully and can become quite territorial and dont school together anything like the way neons will. They are beautiful fish though.

Also some real beautys are harliquin rasbora, these stick close together.

Yeah I've always heard the one inch rule I was thinking I could have six neons maybe six black skirts a bristle nose pleco two rosys and a handfull of guppies does this sound like too many fish? the water will be filtered and changed regularly

Yeah right now we are sticking to the basic petsmart bought fish for now but I do have a huge 125 gallon tank in my office that just arrived but the company is setting that up not sure with what yet tho

A good way that may help is 1 inch in fish size to every gallon of water

Hi ! Just letting you know, that rule is dated and doesn't really work anymore. I mean you cant put a 10 inch fish in a 10g tank? But yeah because of it's inaccuracy, not many on here suggest it anymore.

I've read the 1inch rule (guideline) is out of sync now with modern filters and that it depends on if the fish is small & slim-bodied, etc or big and messy eaters. Which is all good points. Also that one off surface area would be an improvement. Having said that and allowing for inaccuracy, I think it is a starting point and in my case stopped some mad impulse buys.

Hi ! Just letting you know, that rule is dated and doesn't really work anymore. I mean you cant put a 10 inch fish in a 10g tank? But yeah because of it's inaccuracy, not many on here suggest it anymore.

Yep, make them all middle dwellers and this exaggerates this too.

Back
Top Bottom