35 hex startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,
Just came to document my 35 hex progress for myself really. This is my first build from scratch.
I picked up the tank and cleaned it 10/25
Decided on my plan: driftwood, live plants, sand, marbled hatchets, an angel, black neon tetras, and cories.
I'm about a week in
1) got java moss - floating in the tank
2) collected, scrubbed, boiled, and now soaking local hardwood
3) started up the filter with carbon to help filter out some tannins

Day 1:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415918502.781512.jpg

Day 2:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415918536.040587.jpg

Day 5:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415918557.324228.jpg

Day 6:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415918575.986618.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415918602.599703.jpg

Looking good, one word of advise tho. I have a planted 20 Hex which I love but I have a hard time finding bulbs for it and bulbs that are brite enough. So with the stock hood I can only keep low to medium light plants. The best light to get would be some very high lights if you want a lot of medium-high light plants. but for moss and other low light plants the stock will be great.
Good Luck

Awesome! I see we have similar tastes- i have a 37 with marbled hatchets and black neons, and i had corys. I havent messed with angels though. I'm interested to see how that goes for you!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hi all. Back with an update. All the wood save one piece have finally sunk. My java moss is growing really well and I started tying some to the wood. Whilst debating the wood placement, I heard dripping so I turned off the filter and found a puddle on the carpet behind the tank. O-ring on the aquaclear was cracked and snapped when I went to remove it. Looking for a replacement now.
If the wood doesn't sink in a few more days I'll probably scrap that piece and get moving on stocking!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416672712.672669.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416672758.966457.jpg

I love the look of the wood. I wish I could just go outside and find wood and rocks as it would be so, SO much cheaper. That sucks about the filter though, I hate roadblocks when I am setting things up.

I love the look of taller or hex tanks vs the regular version and angel fish in particular thrive with the height. Aside from that filter issue, you are off to a wonderful start.

Sidenote, you want to cycle the tank before you add fish. I assume you knew that, but if not and this is your first tank I would read all you can about "fishless cycling". Its easier on the fish and less work for you overall.

Looking good, one word of advise tho. I have a planted 20 Hex which I love but I have a hard time finding bulbs for it and bulbs that are brite enough. So with the stock hood I can only keep low to medium light plants. The best light to get would be some very high lights if you want a lot of medium-high light plants. but for moss and other low light plants the stock will be great.
Good Luck

Given that your driftwood will leech tannins and darken the water, I would just go with low-light plants. Java Fern and many of the Crypts are good for this. I would also not go with high lighting to compensate for this, unless you want to shade the top of the tank with floating plants. Your stock is mostly blackwater fish that like subdued lighting.

I like your stocking plan. Black Neons are one of my favorites - a really underrated fish, IMO. Be sure that your lid has no small holes for the hatchets to jump through.

Ppo - I've been seeding the filter media on my existing tank for about five weeks now so I'm ready to go, this is my third tank so no worries!
I'm fortunate to live in an area with tons of woods and rivers to go hunting in!
Got some new o rings today so the filter is back up and running.
I don't mind the tannins and from what I've read the fish will dig it and personally I like the look of it.
Only planning on java moss and java fern for now so the standard hood light will do fine
I also made a "cover" for the area around the filter so no way for the hatchets to escape!

Picked up nine black neon tetras and a java fern today.
They only had one hatchet so I'm going to wait another week on those.
Time to sit back and wait. This tank won't be done until spring since I want dense plants and sand. I shall keep you posted!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416948409.997550.jpg

Thanks! Yes I can't get pool filter sand until spring, no one sells it while it's snowing haha.

Lost one of the tetras last night :(
Will be getting more fish after thanksgiving. I really love the way they look in the tank so I think I might change my plans.
Considering increasing the tetra numbers and nixing the cories and doing black substrate instead of PFS
Thoughts?

Lost one of the tetras last night :(
Will be getting more fish after thanksgiving. I really love the way they look in the tank so I think I might change my plans.
Considering increasing the tetra numbers and nixing the cories and doing black substrate instead of PFS
Thoughts?

That really stinks, I love black neons. I am planning on getting a school for my 75, if I can stop buying guppies.:banghead:

That really stinks, I love black neons. I am planning on getting a school for my 75, if I can stop buying guppies.:banghead:

The curse of the guppies.
"Just ONE more, a new pattern/color/finnage etc could make some beautiful babies. Well... I should really buy the trio instead of just one. Well the babies are so pretty I'll keep them but I want them to have different color/pattern/finnage etc so just ONE MORE."
And the vicious cycle continues.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Added a couple more tetras, java fern, and the last little hatchet they had at the store
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417183689.346632.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417183703.931979.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417183718.035484.jpg

Yeah I just don't want to pay shipping on something that heavy, I'm sure it's absurd haha

Lost four more tetras. They looked okay in the store but some of the other tanks had some dead guys so I'm trying to pin down the problem. No signs of illness and parameters check out.
Additional stocking is on hold.

Back
Top Bottom