36 bf build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AC70 If you want crazy filtration then do a 110 and turn the flow down

You can control the flow on them? Well im thinking about getting an x3 and using the quiet 1 that comes with the tank as well. Alot of flow but who knows. I dont think my wife is willing to spend another 100 $ for the extra filter

You use to be able to on the emperor back when they were good (I dont like the noise hearing it in the background as i type) I still have a 280 with the grey tab you push up or down to change the flow. I personally would do 2 70s this way if you need a cycled filter for another tank you have it.

You use to be able to on the emperor back when they were good (I dont like the noise hearing it in the background as i type) I still have a 280 with the grey tab you push up or down to change the flow. I personally would do 2 70s this way if you need a cycled filter for another tank you have it.

But the lid that comes with it cant hold 2. I may be able to pull off the quiet one and the x3 that way I can have the quiet one as a back up BB holder. 2 70s would be great but thats more money and id have to get a glass hood and new light

Yea I understand the money thing I just like having at least one extra filter ready to go for the next new tank LOL

Anyone know a good place online for a stand? I need one

Scratch last post. If all goes well, im getting the complete tank 89.99(light hood heater filter), stand 89.99, and x3 filter 103.59. Thats not bad for brand spankin new! Plus black sand and an api master kit! Whooo hooooo!

Thats a great deal! Make sure to post pictures!

I was just searching for this thread on the app. I knew I replied today but went 10 pages just now and couldnt seem to find it! I didnt realize you replied!

Thanks yes I will post pics and a daily cycle log.

Im gonna get the sand today. Im gonna use black sand blasting sand. Which should I get and which should I avoid?

Ive never used blasting sand, I heard its a pain to wash and comes very greasy. I used pool filter sand for my tank. Its tan and gives a natural look.

Ive never used blasting sand, I heard its a pain to wash and comes very greasy. I used pool filter sand for my tank. Its tan and gives a natural look.

Yeah ive done the natural look soo many times. This tank is gonna be all fake so to speak. Ive never used blasting sand either but im not paying 25 $ for 20lbs of aquarium black sand

Okay so my local hardware store sells sand blasting sand called black beauty. They have it in a fine and medium grain. Anyone ever use this or know about it?

Okay I realized today after reading the x3 box that it only does 180 gph with the media in? Thats really low

I GOT MY TANK!!! I dono if ill add water until I can get some sand. Probably tomorrow. I got the complete tank, a stand, an ac 70, master test kit, and a thermometer. All for 238.00 $

Okay so my local hardware store sells sand blasting sand called black beauty. They have it in a fine and medium grain. Anyone ever use this or know about it?

I know some people use this but I have done custom metal work on off road vehicles and used sandblasters The media i have used is sand, almond shells, glass and slag. Thing is its all bagged at the same place with the same equipment. This equipment cant really be cleaned because there can not be any moisture in the media or it will clog the sand blaster tips. so what im saying is you never know what may be mixed in the bag and the slag is treated with a silicone to prevent rusting and moisture. Here is a post i read a while back. If you want to go cheap I really would go with either pool filter sand or play sand.
I have learned that what I think is a cheap way to go ends up costing more in the long run. Just my thoughts.

I found this on another website..

"Black beauty abrasives also known as coal slag, black diamond, black blast and boiler slag is an inexpensive media. It is one of the safer forms of abrasive media, containing less than 1% or no silica. Black beauty media also produces little dust, however, may release hazardous air pollutants (HAP) into the surrounding air. Black Beauty abrasives are made from crushed liquid coal slag from utility boilers. The abrasive contains iron (Fe), Aluminum (Al), Magnesium (Mg) and Calcium (Ca). The media comes in sharp angular grains ranging in many sizes including coarse, medium, fine and extra fine grained."

(goes by 'black beauty' also)

I know some people use this but I have done custom metal work on off road vehicles and used sandblasters The media i have used is sand, almond shells, glass and slag. Thing is its all bagged at the same place with the same equipment. This equipment cant really be cleaned because there can not be any moisture in the media or it will clog the sand blaster tips. so what im saying is you never know what may be mixed in the bag and the slag is treated with a silicone to prevent rusting and moisture. Here is a post i read a while back. If you want to go cheap I really would go with either pool filter sand or play sand.
I have learned that what I think is a cheap way to go ends up costing more in the long run. Just my thoughts.

I found this on another website..

"Black beauty abrasives also known as coal slag, black diamond, black blast and boiler slag is an inexpensive media. It is one of the safer forms of abrasive media, containing less than 1% or no silica. Black beauty media also produces little dust, however, may release hazardous air pollutants (HAP) into the surrounding air. Black Beauty abrasives are made from crushed liquid coal slag from utility boilers. The abrasive contains iron (Fe), Aluminum (Al), Magnesium (Mg) and Calcium (Ca). The media comes in sharp angular grains ranging in many sizes including coarse, medium, fine and extra fine grained."

(goes by 'black beauty' also)

Thanks mike! I have decided to just do pfs because the black sand at work is 27.99 per 20lbs. Pfs is 5 $ per 50lbs

Back
Top Bottom