37 Gallon Build! (finally :))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! I'm finally going to be upgrading my tank in one week to a 37 gallon from my original 15 high! It's been pushed back for so long due to moving into a new apartment that's under renovations and the contractors keep pushing back my move-in date (not happy about it). Anyways, I just got my new aquarium for my birthday and it's patiently waiting to be put together. It's a 37 gallon with a marineland 350b filter, i don't know what the lighting is off hand but i'm not going to venture into planted tanks quite yet, but it even has a moonlight! OOOOOO AHHHHHH! lol I'm so excited! It will have white sand, lava rocks, and driftwood in it with fake plants and a black background. I've already boiled out the tannins of the driftwood ahead of time so that's already to go so the day before I just have to rinse the rocks, sand, and plants.
My question is, how does this stock list sound? I currently have 6 neon tetras, 3 albino corys, 1 platy, and 2 Bolivian rams. Everyone gets along great, my platy is best buds with the br's :)
The stock I would like to add is 8 bloodfin tetras, 8 cherry barbs, 2 albino corys, and 4 neons (and a couple nerite snails).

So the final stock would be this:
5 x albino corys
10 x Neon tetras
1x Platy (I'm trying to get away from live-bearers)
8 x Cherry Barb
8 x Bloodfin tetras
2 x Bolivian rams

I used the aqua advisor calculator and even though I'm slightly overstocked, I still have satisfactory filtration at 108% for the inhabitants. I currently do about 50% pwc a week for my 15 gallon, so I plan on doing 30% a week for the 37 gallon as per the aqua advisor suggested.

I would like others opinions on this since I know that you should only use that as a guideline when it comes to stocking. Thanks a head of time for any and all advice!

Also i forgot to mention that i will be using media from my 15 gallon to cycle this tank until the bb has built up!

Last edited:
I would suggest you run your other filter for tge time being help it get its owb bb

Alright I'll start doing that today so it has at least a week :) thanks

Your stock list is similar to mine in my 55g upcoming challenge!
For my tank is:
4 german blue rams
2 angelfish
8 cherry barbs
8 stebai Cories
10 neon tetra
10 glow light tetra
1snowball pleco

I like the sound of your stock, I definitely wish I had more options, but hey an upgrade is an upgrade lol

Haha very true! Question, do you by chance have a hob filter? I just realized earlier that mine might be too long and run into my center brace. The tank is 30 in and the filter is exactly 15in. Have you had this predicament or know anyone that has and know any suggestions?

Hmm Alrighty that's fine :) I'll mess with it this weekend hopefully it'll work just fine

I have a 37G tank too and I really like it. Although it is a slight nuisance to replant plants or do any thing that involves going to the bottom. It is really deep and I don't have the "longest" arms around

I hope the tank turned out how you want it too!

Ha yeah I can't wait to set it up :) now I'm just worried about my filter interfering with the cross bar :( I'm going to check that out tomorrow when I'm able to check on the tank again. I got it in the same city I'm moving to so my landlord is letting me keep it there before I move so I don't have to haul it back and forth. Next Friday is move-in day so ill have it set up that night and ill post pics!

What filter will you be using? 15" seems rather long for a HOB filter. I am running two HOBs for my 30 gal. (Penguin 150 and AquaTech 20-40) and neither exceeds a foot in length.

Is there a way you could return the 350 and get 2 smaller filters half that size? Say, two 150s? My 150 is only 8" long, and you could put one on either side of the crossbar. It would be slightly less filtration but still very good at 8.1 times an hour tank circulation.

Well here's my problem, I ordered it from amazon and I've already added the media it came with to my current tank to kick start the cycle/instant cycle it in my new one. From past experience with amazon if something is missing or used they don't give back a full refund. If there's absolutely no way to make it work in the 37 do you think they'll take it back?

I sent back something that was used and had missing parts and they still gave me a full refund.......just explain your situation in the "reason for return" box.

Alright I'll keep my fingers crossed tomorrow morning. If its too awkward to make any adjustments then I'll return it

Annnd it definitely did not work, looks like I'll be ordering 2 filters to make up for the filtration I'm losing :(

That's a bummer. May I recommend the aquaclear. You don't have to change media for a long time saves you money in the long run

Alright I just ordered the aquaclear 70. Hopefully it'll get here before I move friday

Back
Top Bottom