3d Background / sand waterfall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tomorrow I am going to tear down my oscar tank and start a 3d background with a sand waterfall.

I am going to be using this video as a tutorial

Firstly, I picked out some natural rock faces that I would like to model the background after but I would like some help deciding, so let me know what you guys think. I don't know how much detail I'm gonna be able to get carving it out of foam, but I'll give it a shot.

First
ojFcCGC.jpg

Second
IMG_2361_1.jpg

Third - Yes it's a natural formation
r

Fourth
Awosting-Falls-Minnewaska-168.jpg

I am going to try to use a blue sand from a lfs assuming it's large enough grain to work and have it flow into a small pool that I am going to make. The rest of the substrate will be black diamond blasting sand.

Will this still hold the oscar in it? I'd be worried about him constantly going after the falling sand.

As for the rock formation, I think 2 or 4 look the best especially for black sand. The red in 1 would pop but with the blue sand coming down it may look a little wonky.

Should be cool either way though, be sure to make a build thread for it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The wall will be grey either way since i dont care to deal with dyes.

Yes, he will be going back in the tank. I would assume he would go after the sand to start, but he should hopefully understand its not food. If not i will just have to unplug the air pump... it should look neat as just a pool anyways.

With one and three it seems like unless you do some careful planning with your carving there will be a lot of places for sand to get caught up on the rock ledges and you'll end up with a pile of blue sand.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I like four the best by a long shot!

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Back
Top Bottom