40 breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coel

Aquarium Advice Freak
So yeah dollar per gallon sale. I convinced the fiance to let me set up another tank. Her choices with my guidance and since I'm a community tank guy I need help. Any recommendations for cichlids in a 40? I know there are limitations the only fish I know she will want is a Chinese algae eater. Thanks for the help

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And for decoration we were thinking black gravel and black background. Decor isn't decided yet

You could do german blue rams, they are small and very colorful. They also have a lot of personality. There are even gold rams and long fin rams that will mix well also.

If you've never kept African cichlids before that's a good choice. Just make sure you research African care. They are different than other cichlids.

Yeah research doesn't bother me my main tank is a 75 gallon full planted community. And I'm planning on acquiring the equipment odd and ends over the next 3 to 6 months

What are better and more fun to keep community tanks or africans?

Fish man out!

Never done cichlids before. So I will let you know but I live my few community more than my sw community

Actually, you could do multi's and a load of escargot shells or a rockpile with J. transcriptus. Multi's are the world's smallest cichlid, and the transcriptus aren't very large either. Both species are colony spawners, as the fry grow they also help protect the smaller fry. Sand substrate is easier than gravel to keep clean. If you want black check around for Black Diamond or Black Beauty blasting grit. It's actually coal slag, but aside from the lack of a diatom bloom (no silicates) shortly after you add water it looks and acts the same as sand. Also easier than sand to rinse when you set up IME. I've had it in my 220 for a couple years now, and love it. Onlyt odd thing I've noticed is that the empty mts shells (kubotai eat some of them) are all white, no brown color in any of them that have grown up in the tank.

Actually, you could do multi's and a load of escargot shells or a rockpile with J. transcriptus. Multi's are the world's smallest cichlid, and the transcriptus aren't very large either. Both species are colony spawners, as the fry grow they also help protect the smaller fry. Sand substrate is easier than gravel to keep clean. If you want black check around for Black Diamond or Black Beauty blasting grit. It's actually coal slag, but aside from the lack of a diatom bloom (no silicates) shortly after you add water it looks and acts the same as sand. Also easier than sand to rinse when you set up IME. I've had it in my 220 for a couple years now, and love it. Onlyt odd thing I've noticed is that the empty mts shells (kubotai eat some of them) are all white, no brown color in any of them that have grown up in the tank.

Multi fry do not help care for the future generations. You're thinking of neolamprologus brichardi. And julidochromis are pair breeders and their fry most certainly do not protect the future generations in any way.

Also, sand with multis is 100% necessary. They dig, and create nests using the sand. It also helps to mark their territories betwen other multis

what if i set her up a tank with say 5-7 Labs? would that be a bad idea and mix and match species?

What if I did neolamprologus Bichardi the daffodil ones?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A couple pairs would be good, and you could add some *smaller* species of synodontis cats, like petricola or luccipinnis, I'd say 4. Just make sure you have an outlet to sell the brichardi fry as they are quite prolific as stated by another member. Discuss it with your LFS, craigslist is another great way to sell fry. The synos will also help with population control.

Now if you like brichardi/pulcher/helianthus, there are other tanganyikans worth looking into. Shell dwellers are very interesting fish. Species such as neolamprologus multifasciatus, brevis caudopunctatus, callipterus, meleagris, specious, similis, ocellatus, etc. As long as you do a good sized rock pile on one or both sides, with the shells in the open area, you can actually add other tanganyikan species, such as julidochromis species (marlieri, dickfieldi, regani, transcriptus, etc.), n. leleupi (hit or miss, can be pretty nasty, but can be laid back), altolamprologus calvus/compressiceps (the a. compressiceps "sumbu dwarf" is my favorite), or my personal favorite, goby cichlids (three genera: spathodus, eretmodus, tanganicodus). Just a though. This route will be more expensive to stock, but personally is one of my favorite kind of tanks. Tanganyikans just exhibit some of the coolest behavior I've seen in fish

Back
Top Bottom