40 gallon breeder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenLouise

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to purchase a 40 gallon breeder tank in the near future. I currently have an AquaClear 70 HOB filter on my 20 gallon tank. Would that be sufficient enough for the 40 gallon or should I purchase a second smaller filter (like an AquaClear 30 or 50) to go along with the 70? Or would it be best to get the AquaClear 110?

:thanks:

Depends on what you stock. If you lightly stock the Aquaclear 70 should be sufficient

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on what you stock. If you lightly stock the Aquaclear 70 should be sufficient

At the moment I have an oranda (about 2 1/2 inches in length) and a black moor (roughly the same size).

In the case of a goldfish I would do a cannister filter. I have Fluval 206 on my very lightly stocked 29g but in your case I'd do something more powerful like the 306. Goldfish produce a lot of waste so you need all the filtration you can get.

I would add another Ac to the tank if possible.
I run a ac 70 & ac 50 on my GBR 40b along with air driven sponge filters.
The goldfish would no problem with more filtration.
I like having 2 over 1 just for directing flow and safety if one ever fails(never had any of my AC fail yet!).
I run 2 hobs on most of my breeder grow out tanks.

I like having 2 over 1 just for directing flow and safety if one ever fails(never had any of my AC fail yet!).

Thanks, coralbandit! That's the route I wanted to go. Reassuring to hear it works out great. :-D

Geez, you have 500 gph of filtration AND sponge filters on a 40 gallon? Do you have 10 plecos in that tank or something?

A single AC 70 would be fine on a 40 gallon. They're much bigger than the AC 50. Supplementing the AC 70 with a sponge filter would be a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you are concerned solely with biological filtration, the aq 70 will be more than enough to handle the filtration needs of your tank. The problem is that it will be difficult to keep pockets of detritus from forming. Extra flow from another filter will improve the quality of mechanical filtration and increase flow limiting dead spots.

Geez, you have 500 gph of filtration AND sponge filters on a 40 gallon? Do you have 10 plecos in that tank or something?

A single AC 70 would be fine on a 40 gallon. They're much bigger than the AC 50. Supplementing the AC 70 with a sponge filter would be a good idea.

All my German Ram tanks that are not fry/or breeding tanks have multiple filters.
It is like I and M just said.
I don't need all the filters for bio,
but to control my mechanicals properly and have the highest water quality for my ram breeding this is the configuration that works best(still changing more water then most also).
I actually considered moving out the sponges just today, but I know they are the best thing going if you don't mind the look.
I got two 110s on my 75g ram growout!(with air driven sponges and one sponge run by hagen 50 powerhead(old model 50!).
Many feel as strongly about multiple filters as they do multiple heaters .

You definitely don't want to hear about my crazy overkill sumps and their 3000 gph return pumps!

But yeah for many a single AC70 should be fine on a 40g and for most would be an improvement I dare say.:hide:

All my German Ram tanks that are not fry/or breeding tanks have multiple filters.
It is like I and M just said.
I don't need all the filters for bio,
but to control my mechanicals properly and have the highest water quality for my ram breeding this is the configuration that works best(still changing more water then most also).
I actually considered moving out the sponges just today, but I know they are the best thing going if you don't mind the look.
I got two 110s on my 75g ram growout!(with air driven sponges and one sponge run by hagen 50 powerhead(old model 50!).
Many feel as strongly about multiple filters as they do multiple heaters .

You definitely don't want to hear about my crazy overkill sumps and their 3000 gph return pumps!

But yeah for many a single AC70 should be fine on a 40g and for most would be an improvement I dare say.:hide:

Would just one filter, my current AC70, be sufficient enough if I add 2 more goldies to the 40G? (After I upgrade to the 40)

Would just one filter, my current AC70, be sufficient enough if I add 2 more goldies to the 40G? (After I upgrade to the 40)

With 4 goldies in a 40b I would want 2 filters.
Mostly for the mechanical aspect.
I do think as far as bio media the ac70 would be fine, but IMO you would have to vaccum up more crap without the additional flow and mechanical filter(the sponges) without helping the 70 along.
I have ordered all my Aquaclears from Kens fish(much cheaper) or got them from my store credit that never ends.
If I can wait I order them online.
Hagen Aquaclear Power Filters

40bs will be on sale for $40 in another also!!

With 4 goldies in a 40b I would want 2 filters.
Mostly for the mechanical aspect.
I do think as far as bio media the ac70 would be fine, but IMO you would have to vaccum up more crap without the additional flow and mechanical filter(the sponges) without helping the 70 along.
I have ordered all my Aquaclears from Kens fish(much cheaper) or got them from my store credit that never ends.
If I can wait I order them online.
Hagen Aquaclear Power Filters

40bs will be on sale for $40 in another also!!

40gb will be on sale when and where?! :)

Yeah, I agree with coral that you'll want two HOB filters on that 40b if you're stocking four goldfish.

BTW, Hagen is apparently rebranding the AC filters, and the ones in your store may be labeled as "Fluval AquaClear." They're the same as the ones that are just labeled "AquaClear."

Yeah, I agree with coral that you'll want two HOB filters on that 40b if you're stocking four goldfish.

BTW, Hagen is apparently rebranding the AC filters, and the ones in your store may be labeled as "Fluval AquaClear." They're the same as the ones that are just labeled "AquaClear."

^YES^

Pets mart had a sale over the summer to move the filters with old design boxes.
Got 2 aq 50s for $25 each!!!
It was an internet sale where you could order online and pick up in store.
I may have even got a 10% discount on top for ordering online.
These opportunities don't happen often though.

^YES^

I actually got my AC70 through Amazon for a pretty decent price. I'll probably do the same for the AC50. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the $1 per gallon sale at PETCO and Petsmart.

^YES^

Wow, that's really nice. I picked up a "Fluval" AC 70 from my local Petsmart for $48. I think it was like $5 off. Oh well.

On Petsmart's website they're having a $1 gallon sale for the Aqueon aquariums! Needless to say I ordered one and going to pick it up in store tomorrow!

On Petsmart's website they're having a $1 gallon sale for the Aqueon aquariums! Needless to say I ordered one and going to pick it up in store tomorrow!

This is huge!:cool:
10,20L and 40b Aqueon tanks for $ per gallon at PETSMART!

Aqueon® Glass Aquarium | Aquariums | PetSmart

I am so glad you are here ,you already proved a valuable member IMO!:dance:

Congrats on your find also( I may have got carried away momentarily!?)

This is huge!:cool:
10,20L and 40b Aqueon tanks for $ per gallon at PETSMART!

Aqueon® Glass Aquarium | Aquariums | PetSmart

I am so glad you are here ,you already proved a valuable member IMO!:dance:

Congrats on your find also( I may have got carried away momentarily!?)

I literally just happened to come across it while browsing the fish section on their website. And I am so glad that I did. I shared this in a post for everyone else to see. Per your advice!

Awww, thanks!! I am already addicted to fish keeping and the aquarium lifestyle. :)) And it all started as a birthday gift.

Back
Top Bottom