40G Breeder / Peat(sp) Moss Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning on building a 40G Breeder for GBR. i've read several things so far that state the GBR require a lower pH rating somewhere around 5-6.

one site i read mentioned using peat(sp) moss to lower the pH.

my question is, how much would i need to use to bring the pH down that far if my tap pH is around 7.6 already?

i was thinking of doing a layer at the bottom, covered with a layer of gravel and plants. i'm not really familiar with PM and i'm under the impression that it will also help plants grow.

if i'm wrong please let me know, i'm still in the process of building this tank so i have the time to wait/switch substrates.

i'd love to know if there actually is something i could put as a layer UNDER my gravel that will help lower the pH AND help my plants grow...

thanks in advance for your assistance.

They do not require a low pH, they do require a stable pH and clean water conditions. If you are considering breeding them that might be a different story.

Be careful trying to get your pH that low. At six and below nitrification stops and the bio-filter will die off. Research and be prepared to handle this. Heavy planting can help if you want to keep your pH that low.

They'll breed in your water, as long as you keep it clean. Just try and source some from a tank with similar conditions. I had a pair of apistos that I bought from someone with naturally low pH... call it what you want, but they bred then ended up dying. The ONLY factor I can attribute to their death was the drastic change in pH, because the fry that made it were kept in my tank for well over a year.

There's no LFS around me that carry GBR so I'm going to go through liveaquaria.com once my tank is built and ready to go... I have a cycled 55 which I can use to seed the 40

Back
Top Bottom