40g new setup suggestion for orandas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 young oranda in a 40g long

- looking to get a canister filter, any brand?

- uv sterilizer? Or filter that comes with it ?

- can I use prime for water change?

any suggestion on starting it up please feel free.

First I would suggest that you cycle the tank before you get the fish...there is a great thread to explain fishless cycling...

-filter canisters are great I'm using Fluval 306 in 45gal and works awesome

-Prime is always a first choice of water treatment when doing water changes big plus is it detoxifies ammonia, nitrites and nitrates

-you don't really need UV sterilizer it works only for algae or bacteria it won't remove micro particles from your water

Minimum recommendation for a goldfish tank is filtration that turns over 10x the tank size. In addition to considering how you plan on cycling this tank, have you given any thought to substrate or décor?

Prime is great stuff and economical over the long haul. No reason to not use it! :)

First I would suggest that you cycle the tank before you get the fish...there is a great thread to explain fishless cycling...

-Prime is always a first choice of water treatment when doing water changes big plus is it detoxifies ammonia, nitrites and nitrates

-you don't really need UV sterilizer it works only for algae or bacteria it won't remove micro particles from your water

Ok great!

Is the canister filter quite?

Minimum recommendation for a goldfish tank is filtration that turns over 10x the tank size. In addition to considering how you plan on cycling this tank, have you given any thought to substrate or décor?

Prime is great stuff and economical over the long haul. No reason to not use it! :)

For decor just live plants and gravels

I mean obviously it's quiet caz your recommending it, it's just that I don't have the money for eheim so I believe the alternate would be fluval I guess

Any suggestion on decor and substrate ?

Are you serious I was going to go with something 3x the filtration for example 40g with eheim 2213

Hi just letting you know to use the "edit" button rather making a new post if you think of something else you want to say :)

As far as canisters, fluval and eheim models are perhaps the most popular (cant help you with which one sorry). But if you're looking for budget, SunSun canisters are a cheap alternative that has some good reviews.

Which plants you get highly depends on your lighting. However goldies are pretty good at chewing through plants. Some low light plants I've heard of surviving goldfish are Anubias, java fern and amazon sword; be prepared if they don't last though. Maybe a thread in the planted section will provide better advice :)

Decor is entirely up to you. If you're going for a natural-looking aquascaping, rocks and driftwood works great. Your substrate should be pea-sized or bigger gravel, or sand (debatable, but people do succeed). I personally prefer substrate all one colour, such as sand, black gravel or aqua soil (a nutrient rich substrate for plants).

Oh ok, sure but for a 40 gal should the eheim 2213 be good enough ?

Doing a bit of research, I've seen a lot of people recommend at least a 2215, if not a 2217 for a 40gal. You could do a 2213 with a decent HOB though.

Ok kool I guess I have to do that. Let's say I get eheim 2217 isn't the flow rate too strong for two small oranda goldfish?. Filstar xp has a 250gph and I don't know if it's a good one or quiet and the price seems to be good

Any suggestion on decor and substrate ?

Sand or bare bottom is the safest and the easiest to maintain with fancies. Gravel poses a choking and/or impaction risk as they will try to put anything in their mouths in search of food. Décor should be smooth- no rough, jagged, pointed edges including plastic plants. Silk is a better option unless your opting for real plants. Anything sharp can snag and tear delicate fins on a fancy. Nothing enclosed or with holes- fancies can and will get stuck! Hope this helps! :)

Ok kool I guess I have to do that. Let's say I get eheim 2217 isn't the flow rate too strong for two small oranda goldfish?. Filstar xp has a 250gph and I don't know if it's a good one or quiet and the price seems to be good

There always ways to lessen flow. You can drill more holes in a spray bar, direct the bar against the glass, drill the holes in the bar bigger etc.

Sand or bare bottom is the safest and the easiest to maintain with fancies. Gravel poses a choking and/or impaction risk as they will try to put anything in their mouths in search of food. Décor should be smooth- no rough, jagged, pointed edges including plastic plants. Silk is a better option unless your opting for real plants. Anything sharp can snag and tear delicate fins on a fancy. Nothing enclosed or with holes- fancies can and will get stuck! Hope this helps! :)

Any type of sand is k rite caz I know there is this live sand I dont know if I should use that, I was looking to go with white sand

There always ways to lessen flow. You can drill more holes in a spray bar, direct the bar against the glass, drill the holes in the bar bigger etc.

Ok kool ! I will do that and what type of food brand to go with?, I know I can do research and find info it's just that my wife is eager to star the tank and she will help me take care of it.

Now I was going to start fish-less cycle but just to let you know I do have a tank setup already running about 3 years, with eheim 2217, is there a way with I can boost the cycle time with out me having to take media from my filter?. It's a 40g tank also.
Thanks!

Ok kool ! I will do that and what type of food brand to go with?, I know I can do research and find info it's just that my wife is eager to star the tank and she will help me take care of it.

Now I was going to start fish-less cycle but just to let you know I do have a tank setup already running about 3 years, with eheim 2217, is there a way with I can boost the cycle time with out me having to take media from my filter?. It's a 40g tank also.
Thanks!

I'm not sure for goldfish, but I know hikari and new life spectrum are 2 quality brands so if they have a goldfish line of food at your LFS I'd pick that up. They'll eat almost anything really, but if you just want to get this tank started before researching a bit further, then I'd pick up some flake or floating pellets.

Many LFS's stock "bacteria in a bottle". People have mixed success with these but they claim to be able to pretty much instantly cycle a tank. You could try one of those products. Tetra SafeStart seems to have the best reviews from what I've read, but I've personally never used BB in a bottle. Is there a particular reason you don't want to remove media from the 2217?

Back
Top Bottom