430 Gallon Triton Cynthia Aquarium for Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stacygirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought the 430 Gallon Triton Cynthia Aquarium.

Question:
I'm trying to decide between using it for Freshwater Planted Aquarium or a Saltwater Aquarium. I know it's probably a dumb question, but which aquarium will mature faster?

I'm new to the hobby, but really wanted to have have a beautiful aquarium for the first floor of my home.

Stacy~

I'm leaning toward a planted aquarium, but I'm open to the idea of going marine.

LSCC-A_clean_88da0bcb-03e9-48ee-8b84-f7c82235d01d_large.jpg

Image of the tank
KS7_A2459.jpg

That would be a bad bad discus tank right there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That would be a bad bad discus tank right there.

Are you saying "bad" the Michael Jackson way, meaning good? Or the Webster Dictionary way?

Sorry just trying to clarify :fish2:

Are you saying "bad" the Michael Jackson way, meaning good? Or the Webster Dictionary way?

Sorry just trying to clarify :fish2:

Michael.jackson!!

Michael.jackson!!

Ok cool! I will consider going with the planted option with discus fish...watched a few videos on youtube on them, and they are beautiful.

Some specs on the tank: copied from the triton aquariums website...
430 Gallon Triton Cynthia Collection

Color Options: Black
Tank + Cabinet Dimensions: 78.75X26X71
Material: Acrylic
US Gallons: 430
All Acrylic, bi-lateral and inside filtration built in with smart controller, 2 water pumps, air pump and LED lights.

I like the discus idea. Do you have a good fish shop nearby that can help? We have some specialty Ma and Pop ones here that cover say saltwater or cichlids, etc and finding a good shop very worthwhile.

Were the videos of planted tanks? Would be interested if that is the case in links. With plants you have to be able to trim them and replant them, maybe add substrate ferts tabs - basically you need to be able to work in the tank easily (or at least without too much cursing).

High tech planted tanks are a lot of work (high growth rate with injected CO2, ferts and high power lights). Low tech might be better - I see there are floor lights looks like. Anyways I'd love to see it planted or examples of it planted, just interested in how it could be done.

I like the discus idea. Do you have a good fish shop nearby that can help? We have some specialty Ma and Pop ones here that cover say saltwater or cichlids, etc and finding a good shop very worthwhile.

Were the videos of planted tanks? Would be interested if that is the case in links. With plants you have to be able to trim them and replant them, maybe add substrate ferts tabs - basically you need to be able to work in the tank easily (or at least without too much cursing).

High tech planted tanks are a lot of work (high growth rate with injected CO2, ferts and high power lights). Low tech might be better - I see there are floor lights looks like. Anyways I'd love to see it planted or examples of it planted, just interested in how it could be done.

There are few ma pop shops in my area, just wanted to gain some knowledge from you experts before heading over to the shops. The pet store that I visited before told me the larger the aquarium the easier for Marine Aquariums...but large tanks at his shop all looked like "science experiments" (they wouldn't look nice on my first floor)...I purchased this system online because it had a bit more visual appeal.

Are you saying that Discus fish don't pair well with planted aquariums with substrate? I don't mind working, just don't want to do something bad for the fish.

How much aquarium experience do you have? Discus are not beginner friendly. There's lots of helpful ppl on here but if you really do want discus I'd do a ton of research before even getting the tank. They're definitely not the most forgiving fish.

How much aquarium experience do you have? Discus are not beginner friendly. There's lots of helpful ppl on here but if you really do want discus I'd do a ton of research before even getting the tank. They're definitely not the most forgiving fish.

I had a few tanks when I was a kid, so I'm definitely not an expert aquarist, but I want happy healthy:fish1: fish. I'm not going to do anything that's not in the fishes best long term interest. That's why I got the Triton Cynthia. Even though I have 430 gallons I'm gonna keep the tank rather sparse, so the fish have room to roam. :fish2:

Absolutely agree! I was making that recommendation based on the tank alone, not the level of ability behind it.

There are few ma pop shops in my area, just wanted to gain some knowledge from you experts before heading over to the shops. The pet store that I visited before told me the larger the aquarium the easier for Marine Aquariums...but large tanks at his shop all looked like "science experiments" (they wouldn't look nice on my first floor)...I purchased this system online because it had a bit more visual appeal.

Are you saying that Discus fish don't pair well with planted aquariums with substrate? I don't mind working, just don't want to do something bad for the fish.

I've heard of discus fish in planted tanks - it's just that this tank is so large to light. I found a link below that shows the light fall off to the square in general.

http://petapixel.com/2016/06/02/primer-inverse-square-law-light/

For a high tech planted tank:

You would need high-powered LEDs to get good light at depth and even LEDs can add some heat. On my tank (150gal) I don't bother with a hood any more and it's only 2.5ft deep. The CO2 bottle I use is 2ft high so has to sit next to tank. I'm not against doing a planted tank just thinking how the various techniques would work and high tech I'm struggling with for this tank. But would love to see it done.

I like the discus idea as I think a flatter fish would preserve some depth to your tank as it is very tall and wide but relatively not as deep.

I don't keep saltwater fish so can't comment there.

For myself, I'd look at doing angelfish in the tank to start with. You can get some excellent colours, should be fairly hardy and they are also a flatter fish that get to a good size. Some other algae cleaning fish, etc but the angelfish would be centre piece.

Then I'd add a lot of very tall driftwood branches to near surface and tie on some plants near existing lights and just try them to see how they go. Would experiment with a few spots. I'd also see if I can get some spotlights sitting at bottom of tank to light the plants and also give them a bit more light. So a low light, less work tank. (I know I'd be tempted on trying some plants in substrate so would also get a suitable plant substrate). Some thoughts, fish options are more limited here, lots more you could do.

One other thought is that I'd suggest getting a small hospital tank for somewhere. Say 10 gallons for freshwater. If a fish gets say a scrape or been fighting and some fungal or bacterial infection results, would be easier and less expensive to treat in a small tank.

Last edited:
I've heard of discus fish in planted tanks - it's just that this tank is so large to light. I found a link below that shows the light fall off to the square in general.

http://petapixel.com/2016/06/02/primer-inverse-square-law-light/

For a high tech planted tank:

You would need high-powered LEDs to get good light at depth and even LEDs can add some heat. On my tank (150gal) I don't bother with a hood any more and it's only 2.5ft deep. The CO2 bottle I use is 2ft high so has to sit next to tank. I'm not against doing a planted tank just thinking how the various techniques would work and high tech I'm struggling with for this tank. But would love to see it done.

I like the discus idea as I think a flatter fish would preserve some depth to your tank as it is very tall and wide but relatively not as deep.

I don't keep saltwater fish so can't comment there.

For myself, I'd look at doing angelfish in the tank to start with. You can get some excellent colours, should be fairly hardy and they are also a flatter fish that get to a good size. Some other algae cleaning fish, etc but the angelfish would be centre piece.

Then I'd add a lot of very tall driftwood branches to near surface and tie on some plants near existing lights and just try them to see how they go. Would experiment with a few spots. I'd also see if I can get some spotlights sitting at bottom of tank to light the plants and also give them a bit more light. So a low light, less work tank. (I know I'd be tempted on trying some plants in substrate so would also get a suitable plant substrate). Some thoughts, fish options are more limited here, lots more you could do.

One other thought is that I'd suggest getting a small hospital tank for somewhere. Say 10 gallons for freshwater. If a fish gets say a scrape or been fighting and some fungal or bacterial infection results, would be easier and less expensive to treat in a small tank.
I went with a reef aquarium, will post pictures when it's ready for fish

Back
Top Bottom