45 gal bow front stocking suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenwood77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend is starting up his first cichlid tank and was asking me for some colorful African options, hes running an aqueon filter made for 300 liter max. So in the range of old worlds and his size tank give me as much variety in color as you can and I'll pass it along to him

My friend is starting up his first cichlid tank and was asking me for some colorful African options, hes running an aqueon filter made for 300 liter max. So in the range of old worlds and his size tank give me as much variety in color as you can and I'll pass it along to him

Anyone?

You can't really keep many old world cichlids in a tank that small. I'd stock the tank with a pair of apistogramma species and some tetras or some rams and tetras.

You can't really keep many old world cichlids in a tank that small. I'd stock the tank with a pair of apistogramma species and some tetras or some rams and tetras.

Really? In a 300 Litre tank you could do a nice little colony of small to medium Mbuna.
How about:
5 x Labidochromis so. "Hongi"
5 x Electric Yellow Cichlid (Labidochromis caeruleus)
5 x pseudotropheus interruptus
I would do a M to F Ratio of 1:5
This stock list will give you a nice array of colour and none of the above mentioned get above 5" or so.

Sorry I misread but a 46G tank will still house the above Stock list.You do however want to seriously upgrade the Filtration to 3 or 4 times current hourly turnover.Provide plenty of cover in the form of rock and if you wish Plastic plants (real plants tend to get shredded by Mbuna)
I would recommend a nice external filter like a Tetra EX1200 and utilise the spray bar to disturb the surface of the water to oxygenate the water (bubbles not required).

Really? In a 300 Litre tank you could do a nice little colony of small to medium Mbuna.
How about:
5 x Labidochromis so. "Hongi"
5 x Electric Yellow Cichlid (Labidochromis caeruleus)
5 x pseudotropheus interruptus
I would do a M to F Ratio of 1:5
This stock list will give you a nice array of colour and none of the above mentioned get above 5" or so.

Aren't psuedo supposed to have the same temperament as demasoni?

Yellow labs reach 5 inches each. Some people advise a 55 gallon tank as the minimum. You could add kribs or shell dwelling cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom