45 Gallon tank setup last week, today my fish are dead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M Riley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I'm new here and this is my first tank. I need some help, guidance, and direction. :) Here is my setup…..

45 gallon 'All-Glass Aquarium Inc' tank w/base cabinet
36' fluorescent aquarium reflector light
'Marineland (Bio wheel) Power Filter Penguin 350'
'Top Fin AIR-300' air pump w/6' air stone
'Top Fin' 200W Submersible aquarium heater
'Marineland artificial 4 plant kit'
'Top Fin' Greek Coliseum
'Top Fin' river rock gravel

I set this tank up last week, cleaned the tank with tap water. Boiled the gravel, soaked the artificial plants, and a Greek coliseum in hot water. Installed a 6' air stone. My tank is located in my sons room away from a heater and window. I filled my tank with tap water and conditioned the water with Nutrafin Cycle Bio Aquarium Supplement, and Nutrafin Aqua Plus Tap Water Conditioner. I followed the directions as recommended on the bottles. The tank has a Marineland Bio Wheel Power Filter Penguin 350 with 2 filter cartridges, it can hold 4. My water temperature is at 77-80 degrees which I've been trying to fine tune to stabilize as much as I can. That was last Sunday, on Friday I took some water to get tested at my local PetSmart. According to the sales associate my pH levels were fine, however my ammonia levels were low. The gentleman told me to bring a water sample the next day. According to him the ammonia levels were going to go down and I can introduce 4-6 fish. Sure enough I went, tested my water, and it was ideal. I purchased 3 small Tiger Barbs, 2 Red Tail Shark, and 1 Angelfish. I introduced them on Saturday afternoon and today all my fish have died one at a time…. I am wondering what went wrong? Do I need 2 more filters? Do I have to start over by a partial water change or complete water change? Was it the type of fish? What water test kit would you recommend? :confused:

You added way too many fish way too soon. I say add fish two at a time and then wait a week or two and then add more. Petsmart doesn't always have experienced reps. And often gives really bad advice.

Sounds like you didn't cycle your tank. Cycling an aquarium is the process of allowing bacteria to establish itself in your aquarium, thus processing the ammonia created by fish, and rotting food. This process will take between 4 to 6 weeks, sometimes longer.

Your fish died because of the high ammonia/nitrites/nitrates.
Fish poop, which over time, creates ammonia. Nitrites is a type of bacteria that consumes ammonia; nitrite is still toxic to fish.
Timer after nitrites show up, a new type of bacteria emerges called nitrates. Nitrates process ammonia, and is much less harmful to fish. 0.25 ammonia/nitrites ppm and anything more is toxic for fish. While nitrate can hit 40 ppm and is still much less harmful.

So, in a cycled aquarium there should be readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-40 ppm nitrates.

Investing in a freshwater API masterkit is a must with any new aquarium.

The tank needs to slowly build up beneficial bacteria as you add fish. Don't rush the tank. The filter should be fine and that stock list should be fine but get the fish slowly.. patience assures happy healthy fish.

joejef: Yes there are a few not to far from where I live I am going to look them up after a few weeks when my tank is fully cycled :)

Thanks for the advice, but I have one more question. Now that my fish died I took them out right away. Do I have to do a partial or full water change? Or, should I keep the water in the tank and let it cycle for another 3-5 weeks?

Hi and welcome.
As stated above you need to cycle a new tank to make it safe for fish. Bacteria need to colonize the filter media to consume the ammonia your fish produce. First a colony of BB (beneficial bacteria) grow to consume the ammonia and convert it to nitrites. Then a second colony of BB grow to consume the nitrite and convert it to nitrate. The nitrate is then removed with weekly water changes. The whole process can take 4 - 8 weeks.
You will need to purchase a liquid test kit. API master test kit is the most widely recommended. It is needed to keep track of how the cycle is progressing and (if you have fish) to know if a water change is needed. There are two ways to cycle a tank. Fish in and fishless. I will post some links at the end of my post on both.
Bacteria starters/boosters are not needed to cycle a tank. The BB are available in the air around us for free. :) When your filter becomes clogged do not replace the filter media. It houses you BB colony. So if you throw it away you are throwing out part of your tanks life support system. Instead swish it around in a bucket of tank water to remove build up. Do not use tap water because the chlorine and chloramine in the water will kill your BB.

FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

FISHLESS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!

M Riley said:
Thanks for the advice, but I have one more question. Now that my fish died I took them out right away. Do I have to do a partial or full water change? Or, should I keep the water in the tank and let it cycle for another 3-5 weeks?

You will need a ammonia source to complete the cycle. either pure ammonia or from fish. The links will explain.

I have also heard of people throwing in a raw shrimp to introduce ammonia.

Don't be sorry...i believe most of us here started the same way as you. I know I did. Mom.of.2 covers it all and the other members here as well.

You do need to invest with the API freshwater master kit. Strip test are not really reliable and that is mostly what petsmart and other petstore used to check your water. Liquid test is more accurate and you can make sure that your water parameters is the right condition.

As they said, if you choose to cycle fishless, use the pure ammonia source, or flake food or shrimp. Make sure that if you choose the pure ammonia, that it is really pure, no dyes, surfactants or perfumes.

Hope everything will be all good.

Seems to me the raw shrimp would be safer than ammonia liquid, as u have to be so cautious of getting the wrng think. I know a lot have used it. But it makes me nervous

Hi and welcome. Sorry about your fish. Unfortunately most pet stores give incorrect advice when it comes to fish-keeping; we've all been there.

Mumma explained cycling and gave you two good links. I highly advise the API Master test kit as you'll need it to test your water for toxins. Also unfortunately the fish choices weren't good ones for your tank; Tiger Barbs can be very aggressive and need a large group; the Red Tail Shark should ideally be in a much larger tank. If you want, you can ask here what fish would be appropriate for your size tank and we can go from there. I'd suggest reading both links Mumma gave you and decide whether you want to do a fishless cycle or fish-in; if you do go fish-in though you'd need to start with a few fish that are appropriate for your tank and be committed to daily water tests and potentially daily water changes for a couple of months.

Whether you decide to go fishless or fish-in getting some filter material from an established tank ("seeded" media) which has the bacteria the tank will need to cycle is highly recommended as it'll shorten the cycle time. If you can't obtain any locally, AngelsPlus sells active "seeded" filters from their fish tanks which have helped many members here (myself included) with their cycles. Just make sure you get one that says "active" next to it or else you're just buying a plain filter.

As far as ammonia, it's perfectly safe to cycle with ammonia provided it is pure. Ace Hardware has the brand most of us use if one is near you. I've used it and many others have as well and it's safe to use. Good luck and if you need further help just ask. :D

Friends w tanks are great resources for old filters. Especially bc a lot if them make the mistake of throwing it out. Just keep it wet w tank water till you get to ur filter.

Also, be very careful what fish you add into your tank. Do a bit of research because LFS associates don't necessarily know what they are talking about, lol.

Red tailed sharks can be pretty aggressive towards each other. You really should only keep one per tank. I also wouldn't put an Angelfish in with Tiger Barbs... Tiger barbs need large groups to make them happy, otherwise they tend to nip at the fins of others.

Anyways... Thats just my two cents. Good luck with your tank and dont worry about it... Everyone makes mistakes in the beginning.

And don't be surprised if in four yrs u learn you had been doin something wrng the while time... It's not just Noob that make mistakes... I learn new stuff all the time and I am coming up on 8 yrs of fish keeping. Have had one tank set up for 6 of them ...

Update: My angel fish is still alive :fish2: I thought my wife took care of it because it looked like it was done for a few days ago. So far the fish is behaving normal and it was feed once last night. I finally got my water temperature somewhat stable at 80-82 degrees…. Next on my to do list is a water tester…:) I pray the little guy can hang in there...

Back
Top Bottom