45G Planted questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraceyB4602

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So now that we set up the 90gSW I am ready to move on to my planted tank. I know nothing. I want to know everything. Mfdrookie has told me a lot and so has his build thread but can anyone suggest other threads or articals that can get me up to speed with the lingo and how to's and basiclly everything I need to know?

My tank is a 45g Tall. I have an aquaclear 110 filter on it. I have playsand in there but would like to change to black sand, or maybe even plant feralizing substrate.

I would also like a great site or artical about plants. I would like to reserch all the plants and maybe get some suggestions from you guys on placement and favorites.

Thanks a lot any input is appreciated as I know almost nothing.

www.plantgeek.com
great site for plants etc
other than that, google and start reading. there's hundreds if not thousands of articles out there. some go way more in depth than others. some are more techno jargony than others. it took me a while and alot of reading to understand what they were putting out there (i'm not techno savvy in the least)

I feel of I can do a reef tank then I can do a planted lol I wanted mine planted for awhile but the 90g was more of our first priority. Now it's time to learn about plants and assembling co2 systems and the ferts and all that jazz

And the tank I'll be planting:

Attachments

• image-405250675.jpg
    image-405250675.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 109
Got the same questions. Definately will be following this...

I find plantedtank.net to be very informative, good articles... I started my planted journey a month ago and learned so much... Good lights, good substrate, fertilizer and Co2 are the main areas... Then it's just picking plants that you like and putting em in the water...

Lights can get complicated, 6500k or higher seems to be a good overall temp to use, look for watts!

Substrate is what you want to spend, the nutrient gravels are nice, but probably the least effect on overall plant growth as fertilizers can supplement growth similarly. Although not having used the nutrient substrate myself, I may be wrong.

Seachem fertilizers seem like a great product to me, I use their flourish root tabs and think they made a huge difference! I am going to pick up their water column fertilizers soon.

Last is Co2 and it makes a big difference too, I am still using DIY fermentation Co2 and it's kinda fun... I have probably read more on Co2 than any of the other areas, simply because I get to tinker with it a lot if I choose...

Maybe that will get you started....

This is all very helpful but my dilemma right now is figuring out wattage. I want high light plants so I need 4wpg. What fixture would give me the best result, ad my tank is a 45 tall. And should I go with 2 or 4 bulbs. An if I go with four should I get pink and white bulbs pink and blue bulbs or a mix of all three

Back
Top Bottom