4g Pico Reef Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gioman10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody! A few days ago my friend was looking into and started buying a small 5g Planted Tank and he kept budging me to buy one with him. I'm not much of a freshwater person so I decided to do a Pico Reef. I got a Deep Blue 10x10 tank, I have a Deep Blue HO filter, an awesome Fluval Sea Marine LED light, a small Hydor Circulation pump and also someone at my LFS said he put a reptile heating pad (Zilla) under his tank so I thought that was pretty cool idea because there's less stuff in tank more corals to put inside!

Here's my progress.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397015850.915183.jpg
I ran Demin (de mineralized) water so it washed the filter and the tank and to check the flow.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397015941.186964.jpg
My awesome Fluval Sea.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397015971.068765.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397015987.690836.jpg
Hydor Circulation Pump.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397016024.541949.jpg
I put extra filter pad inside the filter (Blue Pad)

Make sure that heating pad doesn't get wet. That would be very bad. I wouldn't use it an just get a small heater instead

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind and yes I could but I just like the idea of less equipment in the Tank.

Btw here's more pics!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397016647.616532.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397016660.846843.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397016670.522143.jpg

Yeah it said it didn't post so I reposted it and it said you can't duplicate. I was like huh? Haha.

Another questions and I have been getting mixed reviews about it but I'm in love with Clams and I was looking at purchasing one for the tank any comments?

I also forgot to mentioned that I took water from my friend's 2 year old 90g Reef Tank.

Yeah it said it didn't post so I reposted it and it said you can't duplicate. I was like huh? Haha.

Another questions and I have been getting mixed reviews about it but I'm in love with Clams and I was looking at purchasing one for the tank any comments?

I also forgot to mentioned that I took water from my friend's 2 year old 90g Reef Tank.

I wouldn't even the smallest ones get close to a foot long and that light isn't the greatest. Plus keeping water quality for them in that small of a tank will be super hard. I'd wait Til you get a bigger tank to do a clam

Well I'm building this tank to entertain myself until I get new flooring in my room because I have a 30g Breeder Tank that has all the equipment to start the tank. So hopefully by the time the clam outgrows the tank my 30g will be ready for her. I've talked to the guys at the LFS and they've known me for a long time and they said the light that I have can support a clam but they said (what you said) to watch the parameters of the tank.

I completely disagree that it can. A member on here had it over a 10 gallon and he said mushrooms were reaching for light. I wouldn't do a clam for the reasons mentioned plus they need a pretty well established tank and the tiny 2" ones you see have a high mortality rate.

Okay any advice on lighting then because I would like to support a mix reef?

That light will not support a clam, that light left shrooms reaching for light in my 10 before I switched to a par bulb. Also you shouldn't add a clam to a system until it's stable and mature, atleast 9-12 months IMO. I also agree with bribo that the tank is to small

I'd get a par38 bulb. Reef koi, coral cumpolsion, ecoxotic all make nice ones

I completely disagree that it can. A member on here had it over a 10 gallon and he said mushrooms were reaching for light. I wouldn't do a clam for the reasons mentioned plus they need a pretty well established tank and the tiny 2" ones you see have a high mortality rate.

Beat me to my own story :p

What's a par bulb? Sorry not good with the lingo.

I appreciate it. Any recommendations for live stock such as fish? People said to stick with inverts and the small Gobies (neon gobies, etc).

Back
Top Bottom