5 1/2 gallon contest! WIN 50 kudos! No purchase necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the mollies will outgrow a tank that size, but would be fine in there for a good long while.

I think you could do three pygmy cory cats. I like the gouramis because they build bubble nests, and rummage around the tank looking for bits of plant matter to stabilize the bubbles. Mine never keep still! Put a mirror on the back and that will liven the male gourami up a bit!

Bettas don't provide enough action!?! 8O

Granted when you look at a Betta sitting in a small cup at the fish store they aren't very active but come on... they are in a little cup! I got a Betta in a 10 gallon and he is the cutest little dude. Not afraid of me at all and loves to beg for food. Everytime I come near the tank he goes crazy and comes up to the surface staring at me waiting to pounce on whatever food I drop in there. He goes all over the tank exploring.

I dunno... don't think you could go wrong with a brightly colored male Betta, a few bright red cherry shrimp and a couple of playful Otos. :mrgreen:

TankGirl said:
I think the mollies will outgrow a tank that size, but would be fine in there for a good long while.

I think you could do three pygmy cory cats. I like the gouramis because they build bubble nests, and rummage around the tank looking for bits of plant matter to stabilize the bubbles. Mine never keep still! Put a mirror on the back and that will liven the male gourami up a bit!

are you talking to me about my Molly in my 10gal tank?

or did you missunderstand me and think I suggested to Scott to put a molly in his tank?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

OH MAN...see this is the deal now,

Betta and Dwarf Frog and Crab and a video camera...it would be like ultimate fighting championship LIVE...LOL

just kidding...

Mother

No, because if the other crabs act anything like the murderous little :censored: that I saved... all they'll do is sneak up behind he frog, Jump on the frog, and stab the frog with their big claw.

He wasn't even goign to eat it, he just killed it for the heck of it. :bawl:

William Willliam, I can see this won't be easy to get over, every post is riddled with such anamosity. But really I'm sorry for the incident.
When I said more action I meant more fish not that a betta isn't lively.

Cycle your tank first.

Then add...2 pygmyCorys [ or the cory of your choise ] Cherry or Ghost Shrimp, 2 Dwarf Frogs and a Betta.

That'd give you a very active tank :)

Mid to top: 2 dwarf gouramis (pair?) or dalmation, black, +pearl molly fry it was quit a diverse little group she had. or ???????? still open

William, I was commenting on Scott's original post. I have mollies in my 44 and they would be fine in a 10-gal, but they do get rather large, eventually. Certainly not of any concern if they are fry right now. Sorry if I offended!

One male beta
some neon tetras
couple of ghost shrimp
and an african dwarf frog.

but I really like flame gourami so I might find a way to get a couple of those in some other combination.

Minimum sizes are good but with 3-4 fry it would be awhile. think I'm leaning toward the gourami or 2 rams / maybe move when they hit like 2 inches (I am over filtered)
Ghost shrimp huh? Maybe one for character!

Ok. So this tank isn't necessarily going to be the permenant home of whatever you put in there then. That changes things now doesn't it. 8O

That being the case I'd turn the tank into a fry tank. A place to keep all your babies safe and sound until its time for them to move on to a larger tank. That should give you plenty of action. And put a few ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp in there too.

No I would like it to be the permenant home! Just throwing out ideas as to not overstock. Its hard to stock a small tank!

I really want a puffer. but I want the snails to sift and clean the sand. I threw in a few MTS already. And I put a couple (temporary) guppy in there to kick the cycle. I also put in a rock with good bacteria on it so the cycle should go without incident.

I have a tiny flounder that is really good at moving the sand around. I didn't like the snails in with my tank that has sand.

I don't know what type of flounder it is but it's not suposed to get much bigger than a quarter.

I know there are FW flounders (PetsMart was selling them for a while, calling them "slipper fish" or something) but to my knowledge they will get at least 5-6". I am very interested, though, because I would really dig having one if it is small like that!

I have puffers (again, the dwarf FW ones from PetsMart) and they are fabulous in a tiny tank, but they do require live or frozen food so at work that might be a problem. Also, like you say, you have MTS.

I really gotta get my 3-gal Eclipse set up again - this is giving me ideas!

Back
Top Bottom