5 1/2 gallon contest! WIN 50 kudos! No purchase necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just put a picture of it in my gallery. The fake sword will be replaced with some java fern and maybe a little java moss on the rock. You can see a very small yellow apple snail in there now. Theres also about 8 huge MTS snails. They are all bigger than any I have at home! and the petsmart person gave them to me since they are considered a nuisance. Still up in the air about the fish but I'm close I think I'll need to seperate the 50 kudos to about 3 people who first came up with the ones I'll get. I figure 10 kudos per fish. TanK Girl is a sure lock with the ottos.
Up in the air still gouramis / 1 frog because I want him out of my 75 (hides too much) or rams which noone suggested or the bettas (m/f pair).

Will a 5 be big enough for rams? I have kept 2 in a 10 but that was as small as I have gone. I saw some at the LFS yesterday but they do not even come close to yours! Great pictures in your gallery. :mrgreen:

well you are right and thats why its so hard stocking this thing! I hate to say I can move them later when the hit 3 inches but they are so cool! I may put a mini biowheel on there so filtration wont be a problem and rams don't seem to race around so the size may be ok for them. I just need to evaluate the number of bottom feeders if at all. or completely forgo the rams. Of course gouramis get to about the same size.

Of course gouramis get to about the same size.
Yeah, I guess you are right there, but I would put only one dwarf gourami in there. Maybe one ram would be okay, too, but I think of them as being so much more sensitive, and might not like getting left alone over the weekends!

They do seem to have more personality than other community fish probably due to being a cichlid. I don't know what to attribute it to. I try not to give the fish human emotions but they due seem to be "socially intelligent" and I guess we have become part of there society and not the other way around.

http://www.animalsentience.com/news/2003-08-31.htm

It has occured to me, in my ponderings of a small tank at work as well...

How are they going to be fed over weekends?

Great suggestion, Terry!

I have a tank at my daughter's elementary school and the fish are fine over the weekend without food. I set this tank up because the assistant principal and principal assured me they worked all summer, except 4-day weeks. So over the summer the fish go without food for three days, and again they seem fine after 2 years. The one thing that bothers me is spring break, when the school is completely closed, but again, no problems thus far. This is a 15-gal with a dwarf gourami, 2 LARGE mystery snails and 3 pygmy cories, so it is lightly stocked. Incidentally, the school was without power for 6 days during the hurricane and had no losses :D .

Sorry this was so long, but I thought I would give an example that would be similar to a tank set up at work. :wink:

That sounds like a great little set-up TankGirl.
I love Apistogramma, great little cichlid and very colourful. great for a small office aquarium.

School me Terry... are they not the same family as Blue ram? (Papiliochromis ramirezi) And about the same size? And which Apistogramma would be smaller than a Ram. Never seen one but love cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom