5 & 10 gallon rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtl Parrothead

Aquarium Advice Regular
I “accidentally” got a 5 and 10 gallon last week from someone leaving the hobby.

I felt terrible for the fish when I saw their living conditions. (4 cardinal tetras, 3 black neon tetras, 2 glow light(I think), 2 that look like glow lights but green) The water was filthy and smelled like rotting flesh. I started with about 50% old dirty water(what they were transported in) and 50% fresh I do not want to shock them. I dosed with prime, melafix, and pimafix, I will quarantine them in the 5g for at least a couple weeks before add them to the main tanks. So far the fish are doing well and I do not have any visible signs of infection. They’ve really coloured up and are eating well.

I scrubbed all the decorations (drift wood, several larger rocks, fake plants, tubing,....) The amount of algae, dirt, and slime was also shocking. I soaked everything in a weak bleach solution for 3 days. It was all rinsed and is now soaking in fresh water with a high dose of prime to neutralize any bleach/chlorine residue. I will give it another couple days in that then take it out to dry.

Im not sure how long the driftwood will take to dry. It I’d rather be safe then sorry. The substrate was rinsed and is now drying, I’m not sure exactly how to make sure any bacteria or parasites would be killed.

So once the cleanup and quarantine is done I will have 2 small empty tanks. With the 5 I’m thinking of keeping it empty or at least try and actually having a true qt tank for once.

This is what I’ve been thinking for the 10 gallon, Pea puffers I want 2 but after some research wouldn’t want more then one in a 10. I’m not even sure if a 10 would be enough. My other idea was a shrimp tank with a couple different types that wouldn’t cross breed. I came to find out Caridina shrimp are a lot more difficult to keep then the Amano, cherry, and ghost I’m used to. So I’m no further along I just know I will be going live plants and natural look/feel. I’m really undecided on what to do any ideas would appreciated.

A single pea puffer is fine in a 10 gallon. If you have enough plants/hiding spots 2 puffers would work.
Endler livebearers are adorable small fish, of course a single betta would love a 10 gallon tank.
If you're looking for small easy plants, anubias, anacharis and marimo moss balls are all super easy to keep.

Back
Top Bottom