5.5 fishless cycle advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have started the fl cycle since January 18 and watched all levels with my test kit. The only thing rising was ammonia up and down. So when low about 1.0 I dosed with ammonia . Tonight my ammonia was 0.25, nitrites 5.0, nitrates 20.0, pH continues to stay at 7.6 so I added ammonia 6 drops like I have been doing when it drops low. So should I do a big water change now that nitrites and nitrates are having a party or wait to read levels tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It shouldn't matter too much. Just remember to do a huge water change before you put fish in.

Well finally I did my first 50% water change since cycling started . All my levels were off the chart. This was done last night. So when I got home tonight my readings were: ammonia 0, nitrites 5.0, nitrates 20.0, pH 7.6. So since my ammonia dropped like that I added ammonia again. I thought it was sounding like things are close to being done. After all my tank is only 5.5 gallons.

Day two now and no ammonia so I keep adding ammonia each day and my nitrates 160 nitrites 2.0 was 5.0 yesterday and pH staying at 7.6 . So I don't understand why no ammonia reading if I am adding everyday to bring it up?

Is the ammonia not reading right after you've added it? If so, whatever you're using to test the water may be faulty. Your ammonia levels should be at 4ppm when you first dose. The bb will bring the levels down until it is eventually gone. Before that happens, (at about 1ppm) you need to re-dose the ammonia to 4ppm. The article I sent earlier will walk you through the whole process. Hope this helped. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom