5.5 Gallon Photo Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks great! The scale of the R. papulentus is perfect for your tank size. Very nice work :)

And I'm with you, I've done the very same thing, just intending to do a little trimming and ending up spending the entire day rescaping my tank :lol:

Well here's the pics of the new scape. I'm still planning on pulling the mat of Marsilea minuta and Hemianthus micranthemoides in the front left. I'll replant the HM and and keep it trimmed short. This should make an awesome forground. I'll keep a little bit of the clover, but probably get rid of the rest unless I decide to try it again in the 10 gallon.

Attachments

• 21month_full_169.jpg
    21month_full_169.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 154
That's correct An t-iasg. I absolutely adore the Ranunculus Papulentus. I really does seem to require good CO2 levels and has only recovered aout a month ago from the dip in the CO2. It was down to a very small quantity in poor condition that I thought I might loose it. Luckily it's sprung back and is growing really well again. It's even out pacing the algae so that new leaves are growing faster than the old ones are getting covered in algae.

Very nice, your sense of scale is amazing. You would not know that tanks is only 5.5 gallons. You don't need a big tank, looks like you already have one!

If you end up trimming/getting rid of anything, send it my way, I can paypal you for the shipping costs!

With the switch to using a spraybar on this tank the flow has improved dramatically. As a result I decided that I could give Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) a try. While at Petsmart I saw that they had been marked on clearance for $3.00. At that price I couldn't resist and I now have a pair drip acclimating to my tank.

While observing the tank today, I determined that I have at least two Cherry Red Shrimp still in this tank. They just happen to be a female (very saddled) and a male. I find it amusing that I could end up having the tank thoroughly populated with RCS from just these two shrimp.

How are the cherry shrimp doing with the new bamboo shrimp? The bamboo shrimp are fairly large, right? Are they the type of shrimp that have "feathers" for front appendages?

They're perfectly fine together. While the Bamboo Shrimp are much larger, since they're filter feeders (have the feathery fans instead of claws) they pose absolutely no threat to even the smallest of fry.

Time for some new pictures. The Spiky Moss is well overdue for a trim.

Attachments

• 32Month_Full.JPG
    32Month_Full.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 140
As of tonight this aquarium will finally have fish in it again. I lost the Pygmy Cories in back in December when an ice storm knocked out our power for about 36 hours. My fish club's meeting was tonight. I took in several plants for HAP (Horticultural Award Program) as well as some other trimmings. As a result the Spiky Moss finally got it's much needed trim. There were several fish that had been brought in for BAP (Breeder Award Program) and among them were four Apyosemion Australe Chocolate (a killifish). There is one female and three males, which are all about an 1" long. From what I understand killifish should do quite well in my small but heavily planted aquariums. The person that had brought them in had recommended picking the best male to place in with the female for breeding to keep the males from directing too much attention towards the female but another brought up that keeping several males with the female can help avoid aggression towards the female since they will direct their aggression towards eachother. We'll see how it goes.

I'll try to get pictures soon!

Back
Top Bottom