5 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GodFan said:
Where do you get the daylight cfl and a fixture to fit a tank?
Not sure where my power compact cam from because fort384 send it to me...ask him! Lol. They probably made something similar now, as mine is pretty old. I found some other options for ya. This first one even has built in LED moonlights!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MSM6QW/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N1CUWS/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QSV8XK/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

GodFan said:
I like the second one. I have never used those bulbs so excuse my ignorance but is this the replacement bulb http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-PL13-SP65K-13-Watt-Fluorescent/dp/B003RB5O1E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1329455078&sr=8-9 ?

Yeah. It looks like Finnex doesn't make the bulbs, so I would assume you have to get them from somewhere else. Just make sure it's the right length, wattage, color and that it has the right type of connection (# of pins, width of pins, etc)

Yeah. It looks like Finnex doesn't make the bulbs, so I would assume you have to get them from somewhere else. Just make sure it's the right length, wattage, color and that it has the right type of connection (# of pins, width of pins, etc)
The fixture you linked me too doesnt list any specifics...

You're right, it doesn't have any information about replacement bulbs. That looks like a really nice fixture, it would just be hard to find the bulbs for it.
With that in mind, I would just get the first or last one linked. Both are really good lights, and get good reviews. If you wanted to have awesome lighting I would suggest getting two fluval clip on lights (the last link).

I dont know. Its late and I am tired lol I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help! I will do some research tomorrow!

GodFan said:
I dont know. Its late and I am tired lol I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help! I will do some research tomorrow!

You're welcome! :) I am happy to help. I'm sure you'll find the perfect fixture, it just might take some work into looking.

Well I got a gorgeous betta and decided I will have roots fro a pothos vine hanging in the tank. It is gonna be sweeeet.

I am cycling a 5 gallon and I spent a lot of yesterday fussing with the plants and gravel and ornament and stuff and now I'm wondering what to put in it when the cycle is done. I initially planned to put some super flamboyant male halfmoon betta in there, but I'm interested in sparkling guaramis...would 1 be happy in a 5 gallon? I don't know much about them (of course I'd research beforehand) but I'm curious if they prefer to be in a school or something of that nature.

lelouchzeta said:
I am cycling a 5 gallon and I spent a lot of yesterday fussing with the plants and gravel and ornament and stuff and now I'm wondering what to put in it when the cycle is done. I initially planned to put some super flamboyant male halfmoon betta in there, but I'm interested in sparkling guaramis...would 1 be happy in a 5 gallon? I don't know much about them (of course I'd research beforehand) but I'm curious if they prefer to be in a school or something of that nature.

You could probably put a pair or trio in a 5g

I was wondering the same thing. Unless you are planning on adding other fish though you could easily keep a group of 5 of them.

I was wondering the same thing. Unless you are planning on adding other fish though you could easily keep a group of 5 of them.
I keep hearing "cherry shrimp OR snails OR 1 betta only" for my 5 gallon. I'm still entirely unclear :lol:
I mean obviously I don't want to spend my life curing stress-related fish illnesses so it's not in my best interest (or the fishes) to overstock this tank...

Depends on the filter. If you have good filtration you could all 3 of those.
I already have another 5 gallon with a betta :whistle: (addict) I'd sort of like to try something new, yet for some reason I am fascinated by fish with labyrinth organs...
So with this tank I was wondering if I could keep 2 powder blue dwarf gouramis..or something

1 sparkler isn't a great idea. They are pretty shy and will appreciate a buddy or two. I am currently keeping a pair in a 5 gal and it's OK. 10 gal would be better though.
I keep hearing "cherry shrimp OR snails OR 1 betta only" for my 5 gallon. I'm still entirely unclear :lol:
I mean obviously I don't want to spend my life curing stress-related fish illnesses so it's not in my best interest (or the fishes) to overstock this tank...
If you're lucky enough to get a betta that won't eat all the shrimp, you can definitely keep a betta, shrimp, and a nerite snail in the tank. None of these have large bio-loads, and even a crappy little aquatech 5-10 filter can handle this load. Avoid other larger snails however, like apple/mystery snails, that do have large bio-loads.
Do you know if the same would apply to any other dwarf gourami species?
Pygmy gouramis. I think that's it though.

Well I am real familiar with them, and how much waste they create, I have about 20 of 'em currently, different varieties. 1 full size nerite has no larger bio-load than 1 full size ramshorn, possibly less. Go for the horned variety and the load is even smaller. I keep several 5 gal tanks with bettas and a nerite, and would those bettas not eat the shrimp, those would be in there as well. I even have low end filters on these tanks. It's no prob.

Well I am real familiar with them, and how much waste they create, I have about 20 of 'em currently, different varieties. 1 full size nerite has no larger bio-load than 1 full size ramshorn, possibly less. Go for the horned variety and the load is even smaller. I keep several 5 gal tanks with bettas and a nerite, and would those bettas not eat the shrimp, those would be in there as well. I even have low end filters on these tanks. It's no prob.
All I know is I had a pefectly happy, cycled tank. I added a nerite and the water got cloudy and poop was EVERYWHERE. It ruined the tank.

Back
Top Bottom