5 Gallon FW Build/Journey Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Alisha. I will be ordering them tonight when I get home. They are not expensive as I thought.

Okay, so as I understand your instruction, I will toss the plastic casing of the bio-fiber and put the bio-fiber in the bottom of the filter. Then insert the foam filter and put the biomax filter insert on top of it, am i right? Should I still have the old filter cartridge inside the tank as a seed? Or should I just toss it away?

Please advice..thanks in advance.

You don't even have to save the bio-fiber, but I figured it was already there, so I'd make use of it, ykwim? Typically the foam sponge goes on the bottom and the biomax bag goes on top. You can toss in the bio-fiber in where ever you like..that's the great thing about using your own filter media..it gives you some versatility.

It's up to you what you do with the old filter cartridge. I know after I had mine in the filter for a couple months it was pretty nasty. :shock:

Okay, awesome...;-) yeah the bio-fiber is already in.

But isn't the good bacteria in the old filter cartridge though, if there is any already? Will it help my cycling if I will let them stay as a seed? Or it doesn't really matter?

Okay, so finally ordered the biomax bag and the foam sponge...woohoo..

I know I promised not to check levels for awhile but can't help it today.

March 25, 2011 level update (45 days of fishless cycling - kinda restarted):

Ammonia: 2-4ppm

So far it is decreasing, so hopefully this is good.

I wanted to show how this ammonia is very stubborn in this tank. Take note that I have not put any pure ammonia or feeding flake food of some sort since the last time I have fed this tank (and that is like months ago). So please let me know what is causing this ammonia to stay at this levels.

47 days 3/27/2011 at 6:28PM: Ammo=2-4ppm
49 days 3/29/2011 at 5:33PM: Ammo=4ppm, NO2=0ppm
52 days 4/1/2011 at 10:35AM: Ammo=2-4ppm, NO2=0ppm
54 days 4/3/2011 at 5:25PM: Ammo=4-5ppm, NO2=0ppm (45%PWC) 7:06PM: Ammo=1ppm, NO2=0ppm
55 days 4/4/2011 at 4:48PM: Ammo=2ppm, NO2=0ppm
56 days 4/5/2011 at 8:30AM: Ammo=1-2ppm, NO2=0ppm
57 days 4/6/2011 at 7:28PM: Ammo=1-2ppm, NO2=0ppm
58 days 4/7/2011 at 1:27PM: Ammo=2ppm, NO2=0ppm
59 days 4/8/2011 at 5:10PM: Ammo=1-2ppm, NO2=0ppm
61 days 4/10/2011 at 8:04PM: Ammo=1-2ppm, NO2=0ppm
63 days 4/12/2011 at 4:48PM: Ammo=4ppm, NO2=0ppm

I don't understand why this ammonia doesn't go down at all to at least 0.25ppm, very frustrating. This is the only tank too that is clean, meaning, no snails and/or worms. Haven't been feeding this tank, but somehow it always have an ammonia source. I always check for decaying plants to make sure it is not rotting in there so I don't know why it is not at least showing any cycling...

Hi Alisha. I am so sorry I have not been on lately. I still have a hard time figuring out what is going on with this tank. I am so tempted to just take everything out, clean it, then put everything back and restart cycling again. Since the last time I updated, the ammonia level just stayed in 4ppm till yesterday without me putting any ammmonia source for all those time. I ended up doing a PWC yesterday and the ammonia level went down to 1ppm. I will see if it will go back up to 4ppm or go down finally.

I wish I had good news for this one. I am so tempted to just put fish in it already and just do PWC constantly twice a day to keep up with ammonia. But I know it is not wise and a little cruel for the fishes. So I guess I have to be more patient.

But the others are good. It is finally done cycling last 3 weeks ago (my 4.4G and my additional 10G). I finally got residents in it. :)

Congrats on your new 50 G. I will be going there now.

Last edited:
((hugs)) I feel for you!

After setting up that 10 gal for my 6 year old a few months ago, I am of the firm belief that small tanks are more trouble then they are worth! I couldn't seem to keep the ammonia from staying away for very long; some days I felt like the tank was cursed. I ended up taking his fish, snails, etc. out of the tank and putting them in my 8 year old's tank. Will be setting up another 20 gal for my 6 year old's upcoming birthday..tearing down the 10 gal for good.:ermm:

oh no...really? I am sorry to hear that. That was one good looking tank too. But I hear what you are saying. I checked the ammonia level again yesterday for this tank and I was so hoping it went down from 1ppm but it didn't, instead it went back up again to 2ppm without me putting any ammonia source. So I think I am going to redo the whole thing tomorrow. We'll see what happen. I hate to just give up on it. It is a very cute tank and I wanted to put CPDs and endlers livebearers on this one. I was so looking forward to it too. ***sigh****

But, I bet you 6yr old will be loving the 20G more. He won't take your 37G? :-D

this might be an off thread question but I have been wondering how you guys put those nice looking ads in your signature, if you don't mind me asking? ;-)

Since you are a supporting member Daileene, it is available to you as well. You can upload a signature image in the User CP. Click on Edit Signature in the left hand column of the User CP, and you will see a place to upload, as well as size/dimension restrictions.

this might be an off thread question but I have been wondering how you guys put those nice looking ads in your signature, if you don't mind me asking? ;-)

User CP>Edit Signature. Max size is 468 by 60 pixels.

Do you have a photo editing program? I'd be more then happy to make you one if you need me too, just lmk!

oh no...really? I am sorry to hear that. That was one good looking tank too. But I hear what you are saying. I checked the ammonia level again yesterday for this tank and I was so hoping it went down from 1ppm but it didn't, instead it went back up again to 2ppm without me putting any ammonia source. So I think I am going to redo the whole thing tomorrow. We'll see what happen. I hate to just give up on it. It is a very cute tank and I wanted to put CPDs and endlers livebearers on this one. I was so looking forward to it too. ***sigh****

But, I bet you 6yr old will be loving the 20G more. He won't take your 37G? :-D

*ha* My 8 year old had this big grand plan after I tore that tank down. He wanted to take the 37 gal and he said he would give his brother his 20 gallon. lol! I told him there was no way he was putting that big of a tank in his bedroom (they share). I think I have a buyer lined up for that tank, so it should be gone this weekend. Still have that great $10 10 gal stand I found on CL in their room, we just took the aquarium off of it and put their hermit crab terrarium on it instead. I traded a local angelfish breeder some RCS for some baby angels and a 20 gal long this weekend, so working on cycling that atm!

Oh thank you....i found it. And thank you for the offer as well. I did have a banner site that I have been using so I think I am going to try it and if it will not work, I will request you to help me. Yours looks so grand. :)

I knew your son would have asked for it. Hehe. But that's great he understand. You had a very good deal with that 20G...great job. Can't wait to see that baby up and running. :)

I certainly hope you don't need to take down that tank and start over. :( It was looking so great w/ the plants! I can certainly understand your frustration though. Especially w/ constantly checking the parameters. UGH!

Anyway, (OT again), about the signature banners... I upgraded and added mine earlier today. :D

I certainly hope you don't need to take down that tank and start over. :( It was looking so great w/ the plants! I can certainly understand your frustration though. Especially w/ constantly checking the parameters. UGH!

Anyway, (OT again), about the signature banners... I upgraded and added mine earlier today. :D

Hi. I ended up not doing it. I can't get myself to wrecking the whole thing with all the roots of the plants already establishing in the gravels. I would regret it so badly if they will slowly die just because I was not patient enough. I guess I just have to watch the parameters as close as I can. But I still sent you some baby ferns. Hehe. :D

And hey, look at your beautiful banner...I am working at mine. Can't seem to put them all up together with my links (since I have 4 tank builds, HA) though. Still trying....sent you a PM. :cool:

Picture Time. Taken last May 22, 2011.

img_1370443_0_186aaa426d3bcffc5376e346e8fe5689.jpg

img_1370443_1_5dae5177d67ec4c50bd4e83b5206592a.jpg

img_1370443_2_5e6523d778ec64b5d603eee1be2c224a.jpg

I kinda change around the background plants coz for some reason my rotalas and the cabombas here are welting turning into transparent then black, then died. Weird. But this is how it looks like now. The crypts and the java moss and ferns are healthy as well as the vals, sags, and the anubias...so I left it alone.

Last edited:
Hi. I ended up not doing it. I can't get myself to wrecking the whole thing with all the roots of the plants already establishing in the gravels. I would regret it so badly if they will slowly die just because I was not patient enough. I guess I just have to watch the parameters as close as I can. But I still sent you some baby ferns. Hehe. :D

And hey, look at your beautiful banner...I am working at mine. Can't seem to put them all up together with my links (since I have 4 tank builds, HA) though. Still trying....sent you a PM. :cool:

YAY!!! :dance: I'm so glad you didn't tear it down, it really does look beautiful, (I'm diggin' the new pics btw)! :D

Have you tried putting a seeded filter from one of your established tanks in your HOB on this tank? That's what I did w/ my 10g when I noticed it didn't hold the cycle. One day there were .25 Nitrites, the next day they were gone, (and the parameters are still holding). I'm just glad I decided to keep a spare Bio-Bag in my HOB so I could use the gunky one in my 10g and move the spare in place of that one, (less chance of a mini-cycle that way).

Thanks for the compliment on my banner! I made it from scratch using my graphics program at work, (I'm a graphic designer... didn't know if you knew that. lol). I was going to offer to make one for you, but I didn't know if you were having Alisha make you one or not. I wouldn't know how you could do a multi-link w/ a banner, but if you find out, let me know.

You sent me a PM? If so, I didn't get it yet.

YAY!!! :dance: I'm so glad you didn't tear it down, it really does look beautiful, (I'm diggin' the new pics btw)! :D

Have you tried putting a seeded filter from one of your established tanks in your HOB on this tank? That's what I did w/ my 10g when I noticed it didn't hold the cycle. One day there were .25 Nitrites, the next day they were gone, (and the parameters are still holding). I'm just glad I decided to keep a spare Bio-Bag in my HOB so I could use the gunky one in my 10g and move the spare in place of that one, (less chance of a mini-cycle that way).

Thanks for the compliment on my banner! I made it from scratch using my graphics program at work, (I'm a graphic designer... didn't know if you knew that. lol). I was going to offer to make one for you, but I didn't know if you were having Alisha make you one or not. I wouldn't know how you could do a multi-link w/ a banner, but if you find out, let me know.

You sent me a PM? If so, I didn't get it yet.

:thanks: I know..I am so relieved I ended up not doing it. I was so ready too. I had my bucket and all but my hands couldn't do it. :nono: And thank you about the pictures....:) aren't they cute. Hehehe! Just kidding...

I was actually thinking of taking the bio-bag you gave me for my 10G which was done cycling 3 weeks ago. I don't know if it will affect my current parameters in there after I will remove it to transfer to this tank, since I have residents already 2 weeks ago. Maybe the good bacteria are still adjusting to the new bioload of the fish. What do you think? :blink:

And yes, I kinda figure out you are a graphic designer coz of your work address. ;) I was able to make me a banner from bannerfans dot com but I had a lot of links in my signature now already that I have to find a way to shorten it so I would not exceed the 1000 characters. :-(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom