5 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, odds are, it'll just come back when you flood the tank again... You shoulda just kept up on water changes and reduced your photoperiod to like 4 hours... Maybe tried algaefix... Smh... Not again... :p

Seriously, just send me the tank and I'll grow it out... ;) hahaha

Last edited:
Dude, odds are, it'll just come back when you flood the tank again... You shoulda just kept up on water changes and reduced your photoperiod to like 4 hours... Maybe tried algaefix... Smh... Not again... :p

Seriously, just send me the tank and I'll grow it out... ;) hahaha

I might try algaefix next time algae comes along. I tried my only easy options to kill the algae and neither worked, so I decided I would clean everything and get it clean again before trying again.

I might try algaefix next time algae comes along. I tried my only easy options to kill the algae and neither worked, so I decided I would clean everything and get it clean again before trying again.

Read what Tom says to do...

I honestly think as long as you're keeping the tank moist for DSM, the algae will still be there ready to take hold once you flood that thing for the 25th time... :p :lol:

I would try planting the tank with enough plant mass mass to outcompete the algae. There is simply not enough plants in there to take in the nutrients

Also daily water changes arguably NECESSARY when setting up a tank. I would try something different because it seems like you have just been trying to nuke the algae each time it appears

Finally: A Flood Is Near!

I have been super busy lately with school, so I haven't had much extra time to work on this tank. However, that should change this weekend. I have nothing going on, so I am aiming to flood the tank then. I just planted new UG tonight, so I will let it do a short DSM before I flood it. This time I will be doing very frequent water changes- I am not sure if they'll be daily or bi-weekly. It will depend on how and when algae shows up. I think I will also try to find some other species of plants (in addition to the UG) to plant. I was thinking maybe a short and colorful stem plant. Possible some moss, although I am not sure how I would add it into the scape. Suggestions? :)

I have been super busy lately with school, so I haven't had much extra time to work on this tank. However, that should change this weekend. I have nothing going on, so I am aiming to flood the tank then. I just planted new UG tonight, so I will let it do a short DSM before I flood it. This time I will be doing very frequent water changes- I am not sure if they'll be daily or bi-weekly. It will depend on how and when algae shows up. I think I will also try to find some other species of plants (in addition to the UG) to plant. I was thinking maybe a short and colorful stem plant. Possible some moss, although I am not sure how I would add it into the scape. Suggestions? :)

You could try some AR Mini for a short stem plant. :)

Flooded!

I barely had time to flood the tank today. I dosed some KNO3 because there's no livestock in there. I didn't have time to clean the lily pipes, so they're a bit dirty from before. I decided to switch back to HC- It's easier to grow, it grows faster and I kind of like it better.

img_2699533_0_a379034fa3b1c7f8e2de424a3b32e9f1.jpg

It doesn't look like a lot of HC because most of it is buried. I planted a lot of it in hopes that it will grow quickly and counter the excess light/nutrients/whatever it is that causes algae in this tank.
img_2699533_1_5c797879877728ccd18778d3e75b872c.jpg

img_2699533_2_855356d82177754d872e3b2faff17815.jpg

Dirty lily pipes :oops:

img_2699533_3_f0e6cd77adec43903ee0c45bcdf2ac87.jpg

I am planning on doing weekly 50% water changes for now. I will probably eventually dose phosphorus, potassium and trace in a few weeks.

Last edited:
If you're going to dose, I would dose trace and potassium. The AS already has a ton of KNO3 in it. I dose full EI from the start.

If you're going to dose, I would dose trace and potassium. The AS already has a ton of KNO3 in it. I dose full EI from the start.

Yeah I did. Aquasoil contains ammonia (I'm not sure if it's just by nature or if they added it to help with cycling), but I'm not sure about nitrates.

If at all possible, I would put even more plants in. Even if lots of the HC is buried, I would just load it up.

I put in as much as I could. There isn't much room in the front between the rocks and the glass.

Floating some stems, while unattractive now, may help drastically in the long run. Rotala, Wisteria, and Ludwigia are all good options.

I have to agree with those two here. Having plenty of plants to start the tank will make your life much easier. If you have a bunch of plants, have good CO2 diffusion, and start dosing your full lineup of EI then hopefully you will be successful :)

Floating some stems, while unattractive now, may help drastically in the long run. Rotala, Wisteria, and Ludwigia are all good options.

+1. No need to really skimp on plants at all, especially considering how many times you've had to restart. Wisteria especially would be great while the HC gets set.

I recommend wisteria also, or rotala. Both attractive weeds that are used in world-class scapes.

Myriophyllum also

I don't have land ludwigia, rotala or wisteria right now. I don't think I have any stem plants. lol. Anyone have some that I can buy?

Well I guess I have no choice... Fissidens cloud! Random anubias! Guppy grass! Frogbit! :brows:

img_2700572_0_89f370be6da42e1ec6c3b546614a41cb.jpg

img_2700572_1_a3459afdfaae24b1d5f69573d6849210.jpg

img_2700572_2_906f06a09a4391a5ed8763938d5d10c9.jpg

img_2700572_3_1e92c51836e5d30ecbf0d9558e6f6c84.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom