5 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Garugh, one of the ghosties (I think the last) kicked the bucket. D: Which doesn't make any sense; he was the hardiest one out of the group I'd originally bought. Honestly I wonder if it was from something on my end or from the new RCS. Tested the water; parameters are normal (ammo = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrate = 5; pH = 7.4ishmaybe). Or maybe since he was sold as a feeder shrimp. :'D *shrug*

In other news, the drop checker's showing a dark green (with a slight hint of blue) during the day, and a more solid green at night. I tested my KH a week or two ago but can't remember the details but I know it was above 10, so I'll test it again when I get back from a friend's house on Monday to double check. What are normal KH and GH levels in a typical freshwater aquarium? Or is it kinda like pH, where it doesn't really matter as long as its stable?

Plant-wise... the wisteria's starting to turn transparent on the tips of its older leaves. I'm positive it's not the lighting or iron, as I dose a tiny bit of iron every day in addition to Flourish Comprehensive. Could it be I'm dosing too much FC? It's really estimative dosing - the smallest dosing chart they had was for 10 gallons, and being the horrible-at-math person I am, I just say "screw it" and put a couple of drops in the cap rather than try to figure out what half of 0.2 of a cap is. :'D

On a random note: I was fiddling online earlier and can feel Multiple Tank Syndrome coming in, eheh... really wanting some diamond tetras, so I'm saving up for another new tank. |: *sigh* I swear, I've already put almost 300 bucks into this one five gallon.

Hey Katie. I've been out and about with some family that flew in this weekend so I haven't been on much. I wouldn't be shocked at ghost shrimp deaths, they are extremely random, even with some that I catch wild it happens randomly.

The KH/GH thing sounds o.k. to me, but I'm far from an expert on that stuff, I know my kh/gh is extremely low (barely registers on the api kit) so I buffer most tanks with aragonite or dolomite powder.

You are o.k. to eyeball dose flourish comprehensive. I've never heard of it causing issues with the plants themselves, but rather an overdose causes algae problems. I would look into something else causing a plant problem, whether it be lighting related, transitioning, or possibly lacking a macronutrient

Thanks, jeta! It's okay. I was just a little anxious to get a response since I didn't know if my plants/shrimp were in any danger.

Just tested my KH. It took 22 drops to turn the solution yellow... is that normal? o_O

Also, I got my ceramic diffuser in the mail today. There's a really tiny hole at the top where the air from the tubing goes into the diffuser - almost an hour later and still no bubbles. Is there any danger of the pressure building up? I rinsed the diffuser in cold tap water before sticking it onto the glass.

On another note, pictures!
One is a FTS.
One is of the drop checker. (It looks to be a solid green. In the mornings, it looks just a little lighter.)
One is of the new AquaClear 20 filter I bought. (I'm letting it grow some bacteria 'till I move the Whisper into my 2.5 long. That's where the betta is for now; I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just move the shrimp into the 2.5 once water parameters have settled down and bacteria's grown on the new filter, and just keep the 5 gallon for the betta. Right now I'm loving the AquaClear - I just stuffed some filter floss in-between the ceramic bio stuff and the foam, since I don't really want carbon in this planted tank.)
One is of the ill wisteria leaves.(This isn't what the entire plant looks like, fortunately; all of the new growth is a lush light green. The tops of some of the DHG leaves are browning/also going a little clear. I'm starting to think it is a nitrogen deficiency after all.)

Attachments

• IMG_4647.jpg
    IMG_4647.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4649.jpg
    IMG_4649.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4648.jpg
    IMG_4648.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4655.jpg
    IMG_4655.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 57
Still concerned about the KH question I have posted above.

My shrimp are slowly disappearing, one by one. I'm at a loss of what to do or why it's happening. I wonder if there's too much CO2 in the aquarium; the drop checker's reading a solid green, though.

I've minimized my fertilizer dosing - only Flourish Comprehensive twice a week (and even then, only a couple of drops) and am starting to cut back on the Iron dosing because there's a lot of algae buildup. My photoperiod's only 8ish hours or so, though.

I'd cut back on the co2 for sure. Co2 dosing can be very tricky, and the result of overdosing will definitely be deaths.

I quit excel dosing and saw an increase in colony size over the course of a month. I've not tried the same with Co2 but I've read about it.

I don't really know enough about the KH thing to intelligently comment lol. Not sure what range people shoot for. Looks like it's going to be something left to research, look forward to updates.

Should I just go ahead and quit dosing excel altogether? Since there's obviously no way to control the levels of CO2 from my DIY system, that's the only way I can think of to lower the levels.

Yeah, I'm confused about it as well; I don't know why it's so high (maybe our water is too alkaline?). The higher the pH, the higher the dKH is considered to be 'normal', if I'm correct?

Added some photos. These are... diatoms, right? Doesn't that mean the phosphate's really high and the nitrates are really low?

Attachments

• IMG_4657.jpg
    IMG_4657.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4660.jpg
    IMG_4660.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4661.jpg
    IMG_4661.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 56
In response to your KH question, you're trying to find what is the safe KH level? or what the level should be at?

Those look diatoms to me, they appear in everyone's tank, they have an outer shell composed of silica, so this means they feed on silicates. They actually feed on nitrates and phosphates. This is basically what's in sand and your source of water may have them too.

There really is no way to get rid of them, all you can really do is wait. I know Nerite/Assassin snails eat them, mine went through them in no time.

Thanks for the response. I'm just trying to make sure it's a safe level so my shrimp and plants don't die. XD I tested it last night after a 30% pwc and it was 19... so it's still pretty high. Would rcs and, I suppose, nerite/assassin snails be able to adapt? What about chili rasboras? I'm considering getting a school of those in a few months.

I'll just scrub 'em a bit and hope they go away. How many snails do you think I could get for a 5g? Would they require supplements like veggies or algae wafers if they ate all the diatoms quickly?

I went ahead and posted a new thread on the KH issue - I talked to some guys at my LFS and they think the high KH and nearly nonexistent GH is what's killing the shrimp. :S I wouldn't know, honestly, even after the hours of research I did earlier today.

On another note: I couldn't help but DROOL at the beautiful Scarlet Badis pair the store had on display. I think... I think I want them. D: <3 Would a pair plus a half dozen chili rasboras be okay in such a small tank (once the tank settles down, of course)

Well, after discussing on another thread, I think the shrimps may have died from an accidental fert/excel overdose. The GH is nearly zilch and the KH is high, but apparently that wouldn't be enough to be immediately fatal.

Updated FTS in the pics below, as well as the betta's 2.5 (and a close-up of him :) )

Did some major pruning the other night and stuck a bunch of excess wisteria in my betta's 2.5. (I do know it's small - I'm currently saving up for a 20-ish sized tank to move the 5g inhabitants in, then put him in it. Will probably be a few months.) The rotala's really starting to perk up; the stems are maybe 2 inches and are already showing faint dark pinkish hues at the tips. I'm thinking about getting another plant, though, to fill in the space off to the right. Java fern tied to the driftwood, maybe? Something a little redder to contrast the green, like ludwigia or something?

I've ordered a batch of 20+babies RCS from someone for a great price, and am about to close a deal with someone for my first nano fish, strawberry rasboras! (Boraras naevus) The seller says they're imported fish but have been in her care for a long time without a single death. So that's really reassuring. I'm really excited.

Ever since I put my driftwood in the tank I've had a BUNCH of tannins. I'm not too worried about it other than the plants... they seem to be dulling the light a lot, and I think my wisteria and DHG are beginning to show signs of a lack of lighting (transparent edges). Should I upgrade to a bigger light, or take the driftwood out and continue to soak it? I know the rasboras will love it and it seems to help my pH stable out, but I'm just worried about the lack of light for the plants.

On another note, the 8 rasboras I ordered are supposed to be here by 3. :D I skipped class in order to get them as soon as they arrive, haha. *bad student* I'll post pics as soon as I can!

I went ahead and posted a new thread on the KH issue - I talked to some guys at my LFS and they think the high KH and nearly nonexistent GH is what's killing the shrimp. :S I wouldn't know, honestly, even after the hours of research I did earlier today.

On another note: I couldn't help but DROOL at the beautiful Scarlet Badis pair the store had on display. I think... I think I want them. D: <3 Would a pair plus a half dozen chili rasboras be okay in such a small tank (once the tank settles down, of course)

A pair as in a male and a female? Females are reeeally hard to find. I would snag that up if it's available. I think the pair plus 6 chili's is fine.

I decided on the rasboras XD No badis for now.

*sigh* Crud. My freaking CO2 diffuser broke when I was cleaning it of gunk on the ceramic part. @$@#%^&#$5@#%&$4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and I cut myself. Badly. FML.

The fish are here! Yay! They're drip acclimating atm.

It took me at least 20 minutes to get these four half-decent shots. x_X They never stop moving!

Attachments

• IMG_4680.jpg
    IMG_4680.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4681.jpg
    IMG_4681.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4689.jpg
    IMG_4689.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 65
KatieJ said:
It took me at least 20 minutes to get these four half-decent shots. x_X They never stop moving!

...i am obeseed with your fish....those things are crazy cool

Back
Top Bottom