5 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snailpufferguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know I might get another tank but I would like to know if some setup like this would work
3 or so pygmy cories
1 or 2 bumble bee gobies
1 sparkling gourami

It will be planted with bacopa anubis ludwigia all that stuff idk what do you guys think overstocked?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO i'd leave out the gobies. Very picky eaters and chances are that you'll get brackish ones. The one species that does tolerate freshwater (Brachygobius xanthozona) isn't seen often in the hobby. Other than that you're good, IMO you could add 1 or 2 more pygmy cories.

Is the sparkling gourami good?

Some Sparkling Gourami may not eat processed food. Ask about diet. Most eat live food.

Some info from an article "For a bit of flash in a peaceful nano tank as small as 19 liters (5 gallons), a group of sparkling gouramis is a wonderful choice. Not for the novice, but still reasonably simple to keep, these fish require soft water and an acidic pH of 5 to a maximum of neutral (7) and are reported to occasionally, with some coaxing, accept pellet and flake foods. Do note that these fish have been reported by several as shrimp assassins—being a micro-predator, this is not surprising. When kept in numbers, they have even been said to hunt prey in groups and behave like a pack of sharks at feeding time, with one zeroing in on the prey, snatching a bite, then whisking off while the rest take their turn in the frenzy. This behavior, while I have not witnessed it personally, sounds fascinating and quite unlike many of the more familiar gouramis.
Sparkling gouramis are quite fine nano community fish, though due to their timid nature and small size of 4 cm (1½ inches), they must be housed with similar, teeny-tiny companions, such as micro-sized rasboras, ember tetras, smaller cory cats, scarlet badis, white clouds, otos, etc., and preferably in an aquarium that is well planted and understocked. Though some are said to behave around ornamental shrimp, given their hunting proclivities, I would not trust them with your prized Caridina. A densely planted setup with floating cover (e.g. hornwort, Riccia, long-trailing stem plants, etc.) is strongly recommended, as these fish enjoy diffused light and need to retire when stressed and swim among vegetation to truly display their natural behaviors. Needless to say, they will also develop their best colors and look brilliant against a planted backdrop."

I like to see Cories in at least a 10g but if it's well planted and kept clean they may be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright thanks you guys and btw pygmy cories are just so small they'll probably do just fine thank you!

Alright thanks you guys and btw pygmy cories are just so small they'll probably do just fine thank you!

I'm aware. I've kept
C habrosus
7277c55592b5c3cbbb443af2f5480c4d.jpg

C hastatus

And currently have C pygmaeus
91cfa9f36c86f1de6c1ec55f53ec502d.jpg

They are in my 10g

I have C sterbai in my 55g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom