5 gallon tank betta and....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, it would not be good to have fish in a tank with a betta in a tank that small. I wouldn't attempt it in anything less than 20 gallons

I have a BETTA and 3 guppies in my 5 gal fluval chi tank and they love it and surprisingly they don't fight at all

YOu can't keep Bettas and gouramis together because they are in the same family and males will fight to the death, same as if you put two male bettas together.

i never said i was going to keep gouramis. i know they are form the same family and all. i asked if i can keep cory catfish with one male betta.

Ok I did some research for you. It is common practice to keep corys with bettas but only in ten gallon or over. I would let your Betta live alone to be on the safe side.

Sorry i-swim, I just read a different thread very similar to yours and someone suggested one a gourami as tank mate. I answered the wrong thread!

Generally you could, in a larger tank. In a tank that small it's likely he'll get too territorial.

could i give it a try? if not,, petsmart is like 2 minutes away and i could return them ASAP.

I've read on here where you may be able to do a couple female bettas, I didn't notice anything where you said you wanted a male. My male betta fin nipped my guppy, so I think it depends a lot on the fish. I'm sure someone else will chip in on a sorority of females?

Could you? Sure. We can't stop you.
It's only my opinion, but I think it's a generally bad idea. Your ability to keep your betta with other fish depends on the personality of your individual betta, which makes tricky. Like I mentioned, its generally easiest when they have a larger tank.
Not only that, but cory's should be kept in schools. I don't think 2 qualifies as a school. Also, although you can find dwarf corys, they are active. Obviously opinions differ, but when I was interested in keeping corys I found 10+ gallons was the suggestion.
Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

i wish i could keep 2-3 female bettas but i think a 5 gallon is too small. or else i would do that. :(

You're definitely correct about the betta sorority i swim. Females bettas are territorial as well, so a sorority is better suited for a larger tank.

i am really torn right now. i really like cory cats but im not sure.... the ones at petsmart r still young and babies. they have about 15 in one tank. each tank is 5 gallons. adn then they have 4 full grown cory cats in a 5 gallon. if i kept two, i think they would fit. and my tank would be wider than the petsmart ones. but im still not sure......

i am really torn right now. i really like cory cats but im not sure.... the ones at petsmart r still young and babies. they have about 15 in one tank. each tank is 5 gallons. adn then they have 4 full grown cory cats in a 5 gallon. if i kept two, i think they would fit. and my tank would be wider than the petsmart ones. but im still not sure......

those tanks in shops arent examples of suitable sizes, they are temporary tanks that the fish spend little time in, till they are sold. every post here says no, take note they ALL say it for a reason

Hey you can get some pygmy corydoras they are really cute. They stay below 1" and you could ahve 3 and a betta
Heres is a picture
c_pygmaeus_07.jpg

sieski said:
those tanks in shops arent examples of suitable sizes, they are temporary tanks that the fish spend little time in, till they are sold. every post here says no, take note they ALL say it for a reason

I agree. Just get the one fish and leave it at that. Instead of getting more, devote your time to the care of the one fish. If you do get a male Betta he will be happier that way. Even a female would be happier.

This is my Betta. He is perfectly happy ALONE in a ten gallon. It's kind if dark in my room though, so he's hard to see in the pic.

Back
Top Bottom