5 months and no ick... can I still get it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
It has been over five months with no signs of ick. Just today, I noticed 1 little white dot on my yellow tail damsel.

My question is, if it has been this long with no signs of ick, how could ick get into the tank?

If you've introduced any hard surface materials from another tank such as corals, rock or the like; reproductive cysts from the parasite can also be transfered into the tank.

If not, it's more likely not C. irritans but rather a blemish of sorts that should clear up on it's own. I would do a few water changes with well aged SW to reduce any DOC. If the beginning of a small infection or bacteria problem, the water changes will help stem it's progression and allow the fish to do the rest.

Cheers
Steve

Do you have a uv light in your tank. Once your tankis under control you can use this to keep it there. These are effective in combating Ich especially while it is just started. Good Luck

Nope, no UV light. What apparently looked like the beginning of an ich case appears to be a false alarm.

Back
Top Bottom