50 Gal Planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh darn it, just when I thought my tank was good you just had to show
yours and rub it in! ;)
hahah jk! It looks awesome! I envy your green thumb....:)

Oh, dont we all, dont we all. my design plan is my local marsh's spring. it looks amazing in real life, but my tank is a fail...

Aww...thanks! :D It just takes a lot of plants, the right amount of light, and a bunch of patience!

You might have to move things around 3-4 times until you get things just how you like them.....and then you might change your mind and move things again. :rolleyes: lol I've found my planted tanks are a constant work-in-progress.

You might have to move things around 3-4 times until you get things just how you like them.....and then you might change your mind and move things again. :rolleyes: lol I've found my planted tanks are a constant work-in-progress.
i've re-arranged my tanks so many times, I lost count... and I still can't get them the way i want them.

i've re-arranged my tanks so many times, I lost count... and I still can't get them the way i want them.

*ha!* That's part of the fun though, isn't it?!

Speaking of which, my 20 gal high is in major need of an overhaul at the moment. The rotala is out of control and my hygro is so big it's blocking out the light in part of the tank. :facepalm:

I love your tank, Alisha!! Great job w/ the layout and the fishes are so cute!! :D

Instead of adding plants in the right foreground, how about a medium-sized rock or cluster of dark pebbles? I think a little more hardscaping in that corner would complete the look. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Again, I'm absolutely loving the tank! Now, can you kindly come to my house and convince my husband to let me replace our blue pebbles w/ a substrate mix like you have in your tank? I'm diggin' that look... a lot! :D

I have 3 tinfoils that are between 6-8 inches for a snack I give them a leaf of romaine lettunce some times..I also have a silver dollar about 5in who eats plants too..anything or anyway I could have nitrate reducing plants my fish WONT eat overnight?

I have 3 tinfoils that are between 6-8 inches for a snack I give them a leaf of romaine lettunce some times..I also have a silver dollar about 5in who eats plants too..anything or anyway I could have nitrate reducing plants my fish WONT eat overnight?

I'd try some of the smaller thicker leaved plants like anubias or something with coarse textured leaves like java fern.

Came back from a few days away over the holiday and found a Rotala jungle and lots of new shoots on the stargrass..I'm thinking I have some trimming to be done!

img_1434584_0_a1ba32b3dff4936b4bfe9d97ff3db6a8.jpg

img_1434584_1_c88428d68a1e93e0ae532bae257b2ae2.jpg

I trimmed the ludwiga and rotala back a tad this week, so I thought I'd post new pics. Took a couple trimmings from the stargrass as well to add to my 20 gal.

img_1440112_0_dd64b8d714a86364c45fbe0ecfaf8e41.jpg

img_1440112_1_ef5a48875415905d5a861923ba730671.jpg

Last edited:
Just for fun...Comparison photos from the begining of this tank until now. My Amazon swords have grown immensely since I put them in this tank. I've kept them successfully in <1 wpg but you can see how they thrive in higher light. My crypt wendtii has thrived as well. It's grown so well that I actually just took some out of this tank to add to my 20 gal. It seems to grow a dark brown/red color under lower light and a bright green when it grows out in the open areas of the tank.

img_1440127_0_7deba0c20a2c1e08b629ede07bd99884.jpg

Back
Top Bottom