50 gal stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kishore

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to get a tank soon. Here are my tank dimensions.
Length 3 ft (a 3.5 if possible)
Height and width 1.5 ft. I am thinking ahead about what stocking I could have.
I thought,
3 angels (a male and 2 females)
6 zebra danios
6 neon tetras
4 Corydoras
2 Apple snails(maybe?)

1)I'm going to have a couple of big rocks and some stones in my tank. I am worried that it may harm corydoras. 2)Also, since it is going to be a planted tank, I am concerned that the snails might eat the plants. Any advice is appreciated.
3) And can I get a bigger angel group? If so, tell the number of males and females too.
Please answer these 3 questions.

I was told angels are semi aggressive and NOT to put them in with my tetras...I didn't listen when she told me the same thing about female bettas*..( some not all can be aggressive) and I paid dearly for that one...so I took her word for it this time...my tank has,
8 white skirt tetras
5 neon tetras
6 mollies- 2 males, 4 females
3 harlequin tetras
6 gold tetras
2 cories
2 large and 1 small apple snail
1 mild mannered female Betta
1 large Pleco
It's a 26 gallon bow front tank
It may sound a bit overcrowded...but they are all very small...no signs of aggressive behaviour in this community....we are investing in a larger tank ( 75 gallon) in a few months...

#1: no the rocks would hurt your corys. Avoid rocks with very sharp edges pointed at the bottom of your tank as they can be sort of dumb I find haha. A note I would up your number of corys to 6+ as they really do appreciate larger groups, especially to have them be comfortable.

#2: I'm not sure about all snail species but most do not really eat the plants. They lay eggs in them for sure tho! Others may chime in for a better answer.

#3: oh angelfish haha. I would do 5 personally. You are bound to end up removing 1 of the angel fish most of the time once they reach maturity and pair up. If you do 3 then 2 will pair up and the other female may or may not be ok? 5 you will get 2 pairs and possible territory issues especially during breeding between the males. Honestly it just depends on your angel alot of the time, some are nice some are nasty. Again best I can recommend someone may have a better answer.

Stocking changes to your plan for optimal tank tho.
3 corys to 6+ corys
And your neons will most likely been eaten by the angels once they fully mature. Cardinal tetras are almost identical but a little larger

#1: no the rocks would hurt your corys. Avoid rocks with very sharp edges pointed at the bottom of your tank as they can be sort of dumb I find haha. A note I would up your number of corys to 6+ as they really do appreciate larger groups, especially to have them be comfortable.

#2: I'm not sure about all snail species but most do not really eat the plants. They lay eggs in them for sure tho! Others may chime in for a better answer.

#3: oh angelfish haha. I would do 5 personally. You are bound to end up removing 1 of the angel fish most of the time once they reach maturity and pair up. If you do 3 then 2 will pair up and the other female may or may not be ok? 5 you will get 2 pairs and possible territory issues especially during breeding between the males. Honestly it just depends on your angel alot of the time, some are nice some are nasty. Again best I can recommend someone may have a better answer.

Stocking changes to your plan for optimal tank tho.
3 corys to 6+ corys
And your neons will most likely been eaten by the angels once they fully mature. Cardinal tetras are almost identical but a little larger
My LFS guy said if tetras and angels grow together when they are young, then they won't harm the tetras. So I think I am going to get young angels. I cannot find driftwood. I am getting rocks and going to have moss grown on it. That's for sure. I guess then I have to take cories out.. :(

And will my tank be fully stocked with 5 angels, 6 danios and 6 tetras or can I add still some more? If so, what do you suggest? I was thinking about a pleco?

I'm sorry I meant to say the rocks won't hurt your corys! They will be perfectly fine with rocks.
In my opinion that's not fully stocked as long as you have good filtration because there's nothing that's a bottom dweller in your list.
Go for a pleco or the corys for sure
As for the angels just keep an eye on them, lots of them are nice especially captive bred which most of them are but they are cichlids! Once and a while you get a mean one.
Sounds like your going to have a nice tank, post some pictures when you get it going!

I'm sorry I meant to say the rocks won't hurt your corys! They will be perfectly fine with rocks.
In my opinion that's not fully stocked as long as you have good filtration because there's nothing that's a bottom dweller in your list.
Go for a pleco or the corys for sure
As for the angels just keep an eye on them, lots of them are nice especially captive bred which most of them are but they are cichlids! Once and a while you get a mean one.
Sounds like your going to have a nice tank, post some pictures when you get it going!

I will post some pictures when I get it going! I cant find any cories in my lfs now. They say it will take sometime to arrange for it. I don't know why. I thought of swapping them for some siamese algae eaters. I have a question though, will they jump out of water? I read on wikipedia that they will.

The siamese algea eaters or the corys? I've never kept siamese algea eaters so I'm really not sure, did a bit of research and people say they jump as juvenilles but not as adults. I've owned corys and never seen one even at the top of the tank.

I think I am going to get 3 siamese algae eaters. I read that with 2 of them, they get very territorial. Are corys always at the bottom or do they eat at the top of the tank?

My corys pop up to the top occasionally similar to Bettas...

Siamese Algae Eaters can be pushy. They hit 6"

There are 3 look a like species. Learn the differences. Siamese Algae Eaters ( can be hard to find real ones). Chinese Algae Eaters ( horrid fish ) and Flying Foxes( can be aggressive).

Cories are bottom fish. They do cruise around a bit.

My C sterbai
IMG_2471.jpg

I have Otocinclus. They stay small.

I also have Farlowella vittata
IMG_4493.jpgIMG_2356.jpg

4 Roselines
IMG_2620.jpg

15 Neons
And a male Pearl Gourami
IMG_3279.jpg

Siamese Algae Eaters can be pushy. They hit 6"

There are 3 look a like species. Learn the differences. Siamese Algae Eaters ( can be hard to find real ones). Chinese Algae Eaters ( horrid fish ) and Flying Foxes( can be aggressive).

Cories are bottom fish. They do cruise around a bit.

My C sterbai
View attachment 295816

I have Otocinclus. They stay small.

I also have Farlowella vittata
View attachment 295817View attachment 295818

4 Roselines
View attachment 295819

15 Neons
And a male Pearl Gourami
View attachment 295820

You have some really great fish...!

The problem is my lfs doesn't seem to stock sinking fish food.. Lol
And they rarely have cories. That's why I am leaning towards siamese algae eaters.
I have some questions regarding filtration and stuff, should I post that in a separate thread and here?

Hi! I'm new to the group, but I've been in fb groups mostly, just looking to expand my pool. This was my tentative list for a 55 that I was going to do (that now has to wait another year). It was fb group approved though I'm still analyzing it a lot, but maybe it can give you some ideas?

3 koi angels (but due to pairing off I think I'm doing 4 or 2)
2 german blue rams
7 cherry barbs
6 corydora
4 killifish
1 opaline gourami (maybe, not positive)
1 BN pleco

I think the cories are essential for cleanup and activity. Is Amazon an option for you ordering sinking pellets? For killi there are a few top dwellers, but Aplocheilus was what was suggested to me by a breeder. This would be a very active colorful tank and I worked hard on this list to make sure it was balanced. The gourami is the only one I'm iffy on! Hope this helps with ideas!

Also I was told to use 2 aquaclear 75 on my tank :) I think I'm gonna use one though and also try the new seachem tidal

Good stocking list. I can't seem to find good quality sinking pellets from Amazon India. Since it has 6 cories, is a BN pleco still necessary? I hear they are poop machines.

Well BN and cories do very different things, but no it's not required. I just had him already. I hope you can find pellets! I love cories and you'll have so much less food waste

Back
Top Bottom