50Watt heater question is this thing working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerpentDrago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So last night forgot to turn on heat in house , it got pretty cold 55f,

5gallon got to 70F, thought well just turn on the heat guess this thing can't handle a 23f temp difference no big deal (would not expect it to anyways)

now at the end of the day tank is still at 70f it peaked at about 74

house is at like 63f but its always been that temp and had the heater/tank for 2 weeks @76,78)

Light on the Heater is turning on and off every min or less ..I'm a little worried and its 2am

I know this is a cheap heater but reviews were 90percent good , now i read some of the reviews and i'm a bit worried this thing is going to blow up . I'm pretty strapped for cash , just checked petsmart and looks like 30bucks at least for another heater ..

Should i just give it a day or so .. is 70f alright for now ?

Elite Submersible Preset Heater Mini

It depends on the fish. Look up some info on your fish to see if they can live in cool water. You could also try to raise the temp by replacing a half gallon at a time of warm water. But take it slow so you don't shock the fish. See if you could get it to around 78 and maybe that will help the heater catch up.

You may also want to reposition it. Put it right under the filter if you can so it get more flow around it.

how big is the tank?

go to amazon.com heaters are much cheaper on there

it takes longer for the tank to warm up than to cool down. i agree with NYgiant remove water in small incraments and replace with warm water...

the heater turns on and off because it is either trying to prevent over heating, or the thermostat is ruined in the heater.

5 gallon / 3 neon tetras (i know i know i know , wife made me buy them)

72f , currently

I'm going to do the warm water thing , I can not move the heater under the filter its a fluva chi , that would be center and it would float and touch the plastic cool water and would prob shatter it .

I needed to do water change anyways , i'll get the temp slowly to 78 and see how it does , wish i had a heater pad to put under the tank ...

Planing on getting this Sat (payday)

Aqueon Pro Heaters - Fish - Sale - PetSmart
Looks like hands down the best heater i can find around the area , people are putting this out side under a horse watering thing and its working for years, so its got to be solid as a rock. Its not glass and uses a alum. core. and should last me years and year and years. and can be picked up so i dont' have to wait for shipping

Temp at 76f after 1 gallon water change , poured the warm water in there very very slowly over 10 min.

Links to the best of the best heaters you can come up with , can not be longer then say 8" , and 50w , for 5 gallon fluval chi

I really don't care if i spend 50 bucks as long as i dont' have to do it again, just will not be able to untill at least sat.

Back
Top Bottom