55 gal african tank .. CAVE IDEAS?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
go on You tube and look for lake Malawi cichlids there are some very nice vid. of the Rift Lake areas and the fish in them and see their natural habitat to give you an idea of aquascaping , it is always nice to mimic the natural habitat they came from. good luck

yes there are some vids that are overstocked , but i was referring to the actual lake dives to give an idea of the types of rocks etc. that are there. it is whatever turns your crank as to what you want your setup to look like.

Ya there's definetely some really pretty lake vids too. I like the planet earth one.. There's a part based solely on mouthbrooders in the lakes of africa

OK HERE IT IS .. NEW CAVES!!!

im gonna go back into the tank for a little tomorrow but im basically done..

i went to my local quarry & got some 'blue stone' cuz it was the thinnest & best looking. i got 60 lbs for $6.00 lol (used a little more than half for the caves)

i also got the next size up filter today so i'm filtering for almost double my tank size, which makes me feel all warm & fuzzy :D

anyway, critiques & advice are always welcomed so tell me what ya think or tell
me whats smarter etc

Attachments

• image-4021406915.jpg
    image-4021406915.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image-440164748.jpg
    image-440164748.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 95
Final cut!! New caves!! :d

FINAL CUT TIME BABY!!!!! WOOO!!! lol

so i noticed my caves were a little small and decided to revamp them one more time to give my boys some more room.. now the caves are the perfect size & i couldnt be happier :D

sooo TELL ME WHAT YA THINK!!!

tankpic1.jpg
tankpic2.jpg

next step is replacing the stump.... but with what?????

Hey I've just started a new malawi tank myself. And I got ocean rock. Have a look and see what you think. Quiet pricey but looks great. And nearly too good of hiding place.

Attachments

• image-1914651440.jpg
    image-1914651440.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 96
Haha thanks man. Like for them rocks was prob 50 dollars. So I wasn't too bad for all that rock I could barely loftier from the shop and it buffers the waterto keep the ph up. So double goodness
I'm in ireland though so I'm not sure what you have where you are.

Looks good ronnie.

I chose the lace rock with some slate tiles in my Malawi tank:

View attachment 58753

Someone also mentioned PVC pipe with the rocks glue'd on. I did that in my 55g for my Eel to have hiding spots :)

What type of eel you got steez? Heres my cave that i built out of PVC... Came out pretty good

Back
Top Bottom