55 gal, lower light trial continues, 9/24/07, new pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As promised, more pictures. pardon the lamp reflection, I forgot to stand in the way! Also note that only one of the bulbs is on, which is why the left side of the tank looks dim.

Whole tank:
P1020786.JPG

Left side: took out the Ludwigia repens to give the Bacopa and tiger lotus more room. Also note the moss on the driftwood. The stargrass is filing in nicely, has gotten much taller since the one bulb went out.
P1020796.JPG

Center: The ozelot sword recently got HUGE and is now sending out a runner. Hopefully that means I'll have some baby ozelots to barter soon! Still no luck getting the E. triandra to stay down; I'm considering putting a cage over it to keep the darn fish out so it can get a foothold. The Aponogeton is much happier with more room, and the pearlweed and crypts are starting to settle in and grow now too.
P1020797.JPG

Right side:
Removed the tiger lotus here to give the H. salicifolia more room. The Crypt parva is very happy and is spreading fast. The Java fern is getting really big, going to have to prune it soon. As usual, I think this side of the tank looks the best.
P1020789.JPG

And a nice shot of the Limnophila, Myriophyllum and tropic sunset that I just couldn't resist putting in.....
P1020801.JPG

That second to last shot is awesome........how did you get all those rainbows to cooperate and with no flash.

Very nice. Lots of cool plants and colours. Love your Limnophilla aromatica, hope mine looks half as nice!

Update: Just moved the tank to the new apartment/house (yay! no more people running around upstairs!). Moving wasn't as bad as I expected, except that I lost three fish even though I only moved a mile and acclimated the fish appropriately. So RIP to the two loaches and one SAE. They will be missed.

So here's the rescape: mostly the same but a few changes. I think the sword and the Aponogeton need to find new and bigger homes as they just don't fit (sword) and aren't happy (Apon). The Limnophila and Myrio were trimmed way down so they are there in the back somewhere and will be visible once they grow in again. I was AMAZED at how big the Java fern was when I pulled out the driftwood! It was a 4-leaf cutting when i got it back in April or early May! Also took some upward facing shots as someone else did recently, although mine didn't come out quite as well. And the foreground is finally starting to fill in! I'm so excited! The H. micranthemoides is spreading fast and creeping along the substrate nicely.

P1030020.JPG

P1030025.JPG

P1030026.JPG

P1030027.JPG

P1030031.JPG

Tank is looking great, also sorry about your losses during the move. Looks like it turned out good for you after all.
I am moving in Jan and not looking forward to moving my tanks. Gonna be cold!
Your limnophila looks really beautiful, mine's not doing much, though it is hanging in. No red, very neon green!

More pictures, thought i'd update, the Ozelot and the Apon are gone, to another AA member with a big tank! The pearlweed is spreading like crazy, so far I haven't made any attempt to prune or direct it but it's starting to infiltrate some slower growing crypts so i'll have to get in there soon. The tiger lotus seems to have reached a nice balance between submerged and floating leaves and looks good in the background against all the small leaved plants. The Ludwigia brevipes is really starting to look great, getting red tips now and not curling so badly since I've been adding Mg and Ca. I really like this plant as it doesn't grow uncontrollably fast like all my other plants do! I'm not sure what to do with the back left corner, there is a big hole where the sword was that I haven't filled; thinking of moving the Rotala from the right side there but then I'll have a hole on the right....ideas?

The pearlweed carpet (more like shag carpet):
P1030286.JPG

Ludwigia brevipes with one piece of Limnophila that snuck in somehow:
P1030290.JPG

Hygrophila salicifolia, the leaves near the surface turn reddish, very pretty!
P1030306.JPG

Whole tank:
P1030304.JPG

Great tank. Nice texture, color, and composition. You've got it all covered! It's very harmonious, and your photography captures it well.

by far the nicest looking planted tank i have ever seen, sorry to all you other guys...

It just looks so natural, alot of other tanks have that manmade look, but this one just... is amazing!

The big red thing in the back is the tiger lotus. I had 2 originally but they do get awfully big.

Thanks for the kind words, WaterPond, of course since it's my tank I'm never quite happy with it, but it does look pretty good at the moment! I'd been neglecting it over the holidays but gave it some attention a couple of days ago and it paid off. It's funny how we ALL look at everyone else's tank and say "gee i wish mine looked like that" even when our own tanks look pretty darn good!

WaterPond said:
It just looks so natural, alot of other tanks have that manmade look, but this one just... is amazing!

What exactly do you think creates that natural effect that other tanks don't have?

I was going to say pretty much exactly what Mosaic said... Your colors, diverse leaf forms and textures is really what makes this look beautiful. And by the way, I don't notice a "hole" from any missing plants... it looks fantastic. Why not propagate some cuttings from the Rotala instead of moving the bunch you have?

The hole is more noticeable when you look at the tank straight on, as I do from the couch....it's in the back left behind the driftwood. Actually the Rotala could use a trim so that's probably what I'll do, at least until I get a new idea....I do want some sort of reddish plant back there.

Back
Top Bottom