55 gal set-up and cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's anything like mine was when I got it it will end up costing you a lot more for all of the little things added to it than you expected. I would look into ebay, maybe you could find a cheap hood from there. I have a big titanic looking thing in the middle that they can hide in, it seems to take up a lot of room but they love it, so maybe you should kinda get an idea how much space the castle thing would take up after all because a lot of fish rely on good hiding spots

Good idea to think more about hiding spots. I may have to wait awhile to get it though. I did save some getting the filters and heaters online. I may order my fish online, too. That seems like it's going to be awhile.

Um, dumb question here.... Does the background go inside the tank or outside the glass? I guess if it's inside I need to do that before anything.

There is this liquid that comes in a little tube I think it is called Seaview, you spread that on the background then put the background on the back of the aquarium. I then use a credit card to remove the air bubbles and smooth it out.

zparticle said:
There is this liquid that comes in a little tube I think it is called Seaview, you spread that on the background then put the background on the back of the aquarium. I then use a credit card to remove the air bubbles and smooth it out.

Dont mean to hijack the thread but this is what I was trying to figure out thank you for that advice

Although I am many weeks away from starting to stock my tank, I thought I would post my thoughts for any feedback anyone has on the subject before I get my heart set on a scheme that won't work.

A 55 or 60 gallon tank (not sure):
5 red cherry shrimp
6 albino Cory cats
6 neon tetras
6 lemon tetras
6 giant danios
6 sunrise tequila sunrise guppies
2 upside down catfish
A few moss balls

Black gravel substrate with a some dark blue gravel mixed in. (so the blue on the neons will show well) Silk plants, mostly greens but few orange and one blue floral piece. (to complement the guppies and neons) haven't decided on the background. Probably a predominantly dark green grass/moss pattern.

How does all this sound? Any feedback or concerns etc. more than welcome.

zparticle said:

Does this make the background permanent? I may try the tape first to make sure I like it. I think I am being a little perfectionist about it. :)

Does this make the background permanent? I may try the tape first to make sure I like it. I think I am being a little perfectionist about it. :)

No you can still take it off but what it does do, once you get the air bubbles out, it makes the background MUCH more visible than taping it. It looks like it is painted on to the glass.

That sounds really nice. I'll do that. Maybe hubby will let me do some of that prep before I get the house done. My filters and heater should be here by Thursday so I'll take care of the bg next.

jen31972 said:
Although I am many weeks away from starting to stock my tank, I thought I would post my thoughts for any feedback anyone has on the subject before I get my heart set on a scheme that won't work.

A 55 or 60 gallon tank (not sure):
5 red cherry shrimp
6 albino Cory cats
6 neon tetras
6 lemon tetras
6 giant danios
6 sunrise tequila sunrise guppies
2 upside down catfish
A few moss balls

Black gravel substrate with a some dark blue gravel mixed in. (so the blue on the neons will show well) Silk plants, mostly greens but few orange and one blue floral piece. (to complement the guppies and neons) haven't decided on the background. Probably a predominantly dark green grass/moss pattern.

How does all this sound? Any feedback or concerns etc. more than welcome.

Forgot to add: I'd love to add a male Betta to this tank. Would that work?

I would go for one or max 2 schools of fish. That will stand out and rest 1-2-3.
With all u have listed if they grow to 2 inchs each. Ur overstocked. ;)

Would Cory cats still be happy at 3? What about the guppies? What's a minimum? I can let go of the danios.

I have 3 male fancy guppies with 2 angels. Love it
Ya 3 cory's are good. Later add 2 oto's if u feel u need glass cleaning and bottom algae cleaning.

IMO denisoni barbs are the best looking fun to watch schooling fish. They look better and better as they grow.

IMO 3 Corys or 2 Otos are pushing the minimum limits. The more Corys the better...I'd say 5+ is what they'd like to be happiest, most active and entertaining. Otos aren't schooling fish per say...but they are very interactive and play with each other. Plus, with a tank your size, you'd barely ever notice them if you only had 2 (visually seeing them or cleaning wise).

How's this for a community in a very well-filtered 55 gal tank:

5 ghost or red cherry shrimp (maybe 10?)
5 albino corys
6 neon tetra
6 lemon tetra
4 tequila sunrise guppies
1 male Betta
2 upside down catfish
A few moss balls

Back
Top Bottom