55 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsbrawley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got into the hobby with a 10 Gallon tank. Now, since I have recently moved into a new house and I loved everything about my old aquarium, I have decided to upgrade to a 55 gallon tank (48x12x21). I'm the type of person that plans everything out, so, before I start setting everything up, I wanted to map out exactly what fish I wanted in the tank. This is what I'm thinking:

5 Panda Cory
5 Julii Cory
12 Black Neon Tetra
12 Cardinal Tetra
1 Swordtail [Male]
1 Guppy [Male]
2 Blue Rams
2 Pearl Gourami

Additionally, I want shrimp and snails. Also, I plan to make this a pretty heavily planted tank.

Would love to hear opinions regarding the assortment of fish, and I'm definitely open to suggestions. Also, would love to know if there are any possible problems within this assortment of fish (or with the fact that the tank will be planted).

Your stocking sounds perfect! I would get only one kind of cory though, they'll be happier in 1 big group of 10 than 2 smaller groups of 5. Other than that you're good to go! Be warned that GBR are fragile fish and IMO the other fish should be built around them. Do you know what cycling is?

Thanks for your suggestion, I will definitely do one group of corry then (now I just have to decide which one). I'm aware of cycling from the 10 gallon (I'll be doing a fish-less cycle this time/probably doing a dry start on some of the plants).

Hi, I have a 55g bow-front, heavily planted, tetras and corys. I have 8 pandas and 9 peppered (was 6 but they bred). Even though the peppered are twice the size of the pandas they all mix in really well and the pandas don't get pushed out of the way for food.
I have about 7 black neons and they can be a bit bullying but when the cardinal numbers outstripped the black neons they backed off. I would get the cardinals first, let them grow on a bit and then introduce smaller black neons.
That's just based on my experience. This is my tank at present:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453070031.434577.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The only problem i see is the temps, rams like water something like 82+. Might be a bit hot for the other fish.

Panda Cories prefer cooler water.
Julii Cories are almost impossible to find. Corydoras trilineatus are coming mislabeled as julii. They are 3 Lined Cories.

For a Ram tank the Cory of choice is Corydoras sterbai. They like warmer temps. I have 4 in my 55g and will be adding more hopefully this week. A single Pearl Gourami might be best. Pearls are peaceful, but a pair might get grumpy ?

6c3a4048320a40bea96dc6439e4d2d7e.jpg
833842240bc8791d75a499042669f511.jpg
3ec4dbf45367cd0b427f170ca373cfc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom