55 gallon cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know nothing about doing a straight cichlid tank all I ever see is a big rock cave in the center lol can anyone walk me through everything

I'm wanting to do a community of africans I just dont know what's out there

Well, in a 55g you would want to do either peacocks or mbuna. Mbuna are typically cheaper. Either way, lots of rock. They do benefit from harder water with a higher pH, but can adapt to lower pH (I'd make sure its above 7 though.

Theres so MANY its not even funny. lol do you want color, action or what? I have peacocks and haps, they get a bit large but have astonishing colors when they get older. I used to have mbuna, great fish but very very aggressive and should be kept to themselves. Mbuna would allow you to have a good amount of fish as well. But you have to be careful as far as male female ratios or you could have a world war in your tank lol

Now other cichlid tanks I've seen have multiple colors is that different types or same type different colors... And how many can I do

Most likely different species. I have 19 peacocks in my 125g but I also have 2 giraffes that can grow to a foot so I have the big tank for them.

I would do a search for cichlids, I believe cichlids.com is a good site and they have lots of pictures!

You could also look into cichlids from Lake Tanganyika. They are less colorful than Mbuna, but more interesting IMO. Calvus are really cool, you could keep them with some leleupi or similar.

Yes there are many many options. As mfdrookie said you are going to needs lots and lots of rocks for hiding spots. If you want color i would lean more towards peacocks.

So been doing alittle research and possibly want to do a community of rams but have a few questions
1) how many different kinds are there
2) how many can I do in a 55 gallon
3) possibly want to breed so if anyone has done this with them or knows about it please comment
4) what kinda aquascaping do they like, live plants ect.
5) any other fish go with them if I do a big community

Thanks for the help

Ps can I also add a harum of cockatoo cichlids or will that cause problems

Back
Top Bottom