55 Gallon Fish Population - Too many? - Opinions Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReverendMantiss

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! I've always roamed these forums for help and advice and usually find some great answers. So first off, thanks to everyone who makes this site great!

I have a 55 gallon planted community tank and have a question about my stock. I just wanted to get some opinions on the quantity of fish I am currently keeping.

Here's what I got
5 - Yoyo Loaches (all are about 2" except for one that is 3")
5 - Otocinclus Catfish
5 - Lamp Eye Tetras
3 - Guppies (I put babies in a different tank once born)
2 - German Blue Ram Cichlids
2 - Yellow Ram Cichlids
1 - Cory Catfish
1 - Dwarf Gourami

Totaled up, this falls below the 1" per gallon stipulations. Even so, I take that calculation with a grain of salt. This is a well established tank and parameters are fine. Fish are all happy, healthy, and everyone gets along just fine. My gourami likes to make sure everyone knows he's the boss from time to time, which is typical (usually just a quick chasing - not violent by any means). All fish have been together for about 6 months now. I use a Fluval 307 and keep up on maintenance. My plants take up a good chunk of real estate, but all of my fish love swimming right in the thick of it. Plenty of good hiding places.

So thats about it. Just wanted to get some opinions. Just because my parameters are good and i go by the 1" per gallon rule, doesn't mean this can't turn ugly. I just want to make sure my fish will be happy in the long run.

Attachments

• tankfront.jpg
    tankfront.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 46
I think by that rule your good. It's prob maxed out tho. As long as you stay on top of water changes and maintenance. Sounds like you do. If your parameters get off your GBR will let you know, since they are sensitive to bad water. Just my 2 cents. Nice looking tank btw

I agree that you are close to max, but maybe get a few more corys so it will be happier.

If you're interested, Aqadvisor is a decent tool, though it's certainly not the end all be all. A much better stocking tool than the 1 inch per gallon. It tends to be on the conservative side and I don't always agree with it, but I think it's helpful overall.

AquStockImage.php

Back
Top Bottom