55 Gallon Fist-Timer Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool I'm defiantly going to look into that! That'll make my mom happy! No extreme rock buying:)

Even that or you could simply put 5-10 lbs of base rock in and by the time you're ready, ittl be live rock and you can seed any additional base rock with it

Even that or you could simply put 5-10 lbs of base rock in and by the time you're ready, ittl be live rock and you can seed any additional base rock with it

+1 for sure. You could add some base rock weekly even until you have enough. And the first couple pounds will be ahead of the game by having the bacteria present.

Good call

Good idea! I'll look around for some base rock! Hopefully this will go a lot quicker than what I had originally thought:dance:

Yeah that's actually one of the lines I used against my mother when she questioned me:). Actually she's giving me a few old purses to sell on eBay for aquarium money:D. Hahaha she does want one!

Haha once you get it up and running it'll hook her, next thing you know she will be taking you to go buy fish

Okay I'm on eBay and looking at heaters... a 300W or 200W? I need to know ASAP!

Its a nice tank. Few things I will like to add;

1. make sure to check and re-seal the tank. Now it's the best time to do it.

2. seal the stand for moisture. Salt water have a way of getting in than paint starts to come off. Make sure it's strong enough and wide enough to hold sump later if u decide to add one.

3. Water evaporation- salt will get on the walls next to your tank and ruin paint and drywall overtime. I guess u can paint that too with appropriate paint.

4. Sooner or later your skimmer will overflow and u will have water on the Floor. ( I used silicon between floor tiles and baseboards, so water doesn't get in the wall)

This will save you tons of trouble later. Just wished someone gave me heads up when I started.

2. seal the stand for moisture. Salt water have a way of getting in than paint starts to come off. Make sure it's strong enough and wide enough to hold sump later if u decide to add one.

3. Water evaporation- salt will get on the walls next to your tank and ruin paint and drywall overtime. I guess u can paint that too with appropriate paint.

4. Sooner or later your skimmer will overflow and u will have water on the Floor. ( I used silicon between floor tiles and baseboards, so water doesn't get in the wall)

This will save you tons of trouble later. Just wished someone gave me heads up when I started.

Thank you soooo much for this information! I will defiantly do all of the things stated above!:thanks:

Use your judgement on re-sealing. Don't wanna cut out a seal that's perfectly ok. Other than that very good advice:)

negligent_inmate said:
Use your judgement on re-sealing. Don't wanna cut out a seal that's perfectly ok. Other than that very good advice:)

Gotcha! I think that it's good enough, it looks almost brand new besides a little algae (which is now gone) and calcium build up (which is gone as well). Thanks!

Ohh and vinegar soaks will loosen up any calcium build ups;) keep that in mind for further down the road, of course a good washing is needed afterwards too

negligent_inmate said:
Ohh and vinegar soaks will loosen up any calcium build ups;) keep that in mind for further down the road, of course a good washing is needed afterwards too

Ya Vinegar for sure but don't ever use bleach.

Heera said:

To add on to this.

- Don't use air fresheners like Febreze . Let everyone know at home. Even if u know someone else may not and spay it near the tank.
- Buy dead rock not live. It will be cheaper and pest free. Seed it later from trusted aquarium. I paid $6 /lbs and got mine with Aiptasia and fireworks. Learned the hard way .

-Use ROID water as glass cleaner works great. Don't use chemicals.
- electricity- you may end up needing 10-13 plugins. So having 2-3 outlets near the tank. Don't want to plug everything in one and overload it.

That's all I can remember for now. Thins stuff no one really tell you. I had to learn the hard way.:)

I can second the plug advice, speaking from personal experience. I have 9 plugs that I can count of. .. I'm getting by on 6 until I install a dedicated fused line just for my 125.
On a side note, make sure you have some sort of tank covers, use either glass tops or wire, you think people lose fish due to sickness and disease? Ask some vets about how many fish died due to jumping out.....you'd be extremely surprised

Ya cover your tank.
I lost a bi-colour dottyback after 3 days of buying.

Don't use glass cover it limits the air exchange.
Use the wire net covers, they are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom