55 gallon freshwater angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to set up my standard 55 gallon tank for a freshwater angelfish community.

This will take time because I want to have 2 rams installed first, and am waiting 6 months to add them.

I will be using a sandy bottom and high light with floating plants for shade.

Please advise on stocking ideas, if you'd like: Right now I like diamond tetra or cherry barbs, but not both, for an all level schoaling fish. I also like cardinal tetras for a mid level school.

I'd also appreciate recommendations for aquascaping or breeders. I really like electric blue or standard gbr.

Thank you very much!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You might want to only get males or females, since they tend to gang up when they pair up. Also, cardinal tetras might get eaten, try el paso tetras and hatchetfish. A Siamese algae eater would be good for bottom and algae removal.

hope that helped

You might want to only get males or females, since they tend to gang up when they pair up. Also, cardinal tetras might get eaten, try el paso tetras and hatchetfish. A Siamese algae eater would be good for bottom and algae removal.

hope that helped

Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely don't want the Cardinals to be eaten. I had been thinking that 2 inch fish would be large enough to be safe. Would you recommend a different size, or just a taller body? I tried to look up el paso tetra but found no matches. Is there another name I could try?

The cherries may be eaten as well... Cories for sure would be a good choice. The GBR are going to be fun. :)

Rummy Nose Tetras do very well.

As for stocking levels,

Plan 1

Plan 2

Most tetras will do good with them. Just make sure that the temps are compatible. :)

The cherries may be eaten as well... Cories for sure would be a good choice. The GBR are going to be fun. :)

Rummy Nose Tetras do very well.

As for stocking levels,

Plan 1

Plan 2

Most tetras will do good with them. Just make sure that the temps are compatible. :)

Okay, thank you for posting! I'm not a fan of black skirt tetra, I just don't like the look of them. But there are a LOT of tetra I do like.

The rummy nose is a possibility. However, I found those say 1.8 inch max size while the cherry and cardinal both list 2 inches. So this is confusing me when I look at tetra options. Is this the correct way to evaluate them? --> make sure they are at least 2 inches, make sure they're not known as fin nippers, evaluate them for set up needs?

I've had red serpae tetra, lemon tetra, and rosy tetra. I really like red, I discovered.

What do you guys think of the diamonds? Are they too shy? I'd like a true schooler.

To me, "Angel Fish Community" does not sound right. From my experience, Angels can be nasty towards each other, not sure why, if it has to do with males or females, it's over my head. Angels are one of my favorite, I have been able to keep 3-4 in a 55 gallon at times with no issues, other times it's been where there is a bully or two and eventually some would die unless they're pulled out of the tank. So from my point of view, it's pretty much a coin toss.
At the moment I only have two one year old Angels in a tank with four Bolivian Rams and all is good.

Thank you, icydeath.

To me, "Angel Fish Community" does not sound right. From my experience, Angels can be nasty towards each other, not sure why, if it has to do with males or females, it's over my head. Angels are one of my favorite, I have been able to keep 3-4 in a 55 gallon at times with no issues, other times it's been where there is a bully or two and eventually some would die unless they're pulled out of the tank. So from my point of view, it's pretty much a coin toss.
At the moment I only have two one year old Angels in a tank with four Bolivian Rams and all is good.

Thank you for responding.
I understand, as I have read for hours/days about angelfish, a little about what you mean.
My impression was that if I don't have a pairing, then 2 or 3 would be okay with some tank mates, especially rams. Also, I am under the impression that if I am less likely to get a "pair" if I only have 2 angelfish to start with. I do have a 29 gallon that I can keep as a backup for emergencies, but of course want to be as educated as I can about avoiding those!

I would choose angels over the tetra if both is a bad idea.

Oh, and I used community because I didn't intend it to be a species tank.

Edit - nevermind this question: (Does anyone have experience with successful angelfish tank mates beyond cories and rams, that can offer insight about the minimum size and other attributes to look for?)

I'll just go with cories, rams, & angelfish. Safer is good! :-D

My current 50 gallon angelfish community tank stocking that I love.. 4 angelfish total with 2 mostly full grown and 2 quarter size angels, 2 gold doubloon lyre-tail mollies, 2 alngelicous Botia loaches, 8 neon tetra, and 2 German blue rams! Most things you read will say that neons may eventually become food for angels but I have had no problems with that so far.. I guess only time will tell but just some ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And in regards to angelfish community tank I have not had a problem with them from what I have read an ideal number of angelfish is 4 to 5 that the dominant angelfish won't stress out any single fish to much and the picking is evenly distributed throughout the angelfish community

And in regards to angelfish community tank I have not had a problem with them from what I have read an ideal number of angelfish is 4 to 5 that the dominant angelfish won't stress out any single fish to much and the picking is evenly distributed throughout the angelfish community

Thank you! I'm really interested in your adding the second 2 later. Does that make it less likely they will pair up? If you're not sure, that's okay too. I'm thinking of doing 5 angelfish now. I'm still reading a lot for best practices, etc.

Current stocking plan:
5 angelfish
2 German Blue Rams
8 cories
MTS

I'm looking into the plants now.
I'll already have hornwort and watersprite.

I've had bad experiences in the past where my equipment shut off for various reasons in the Ohio winter. That led to dead fish and despair, etc. So I'd love to know what the favorite items are for heaters and anything else too!

That I'm not to sure I would think that it would affect them paring up though as my first two already appear to have paired off together but that had not really been a big concern for me though as I have never planned on breeding the angelfish.. Don't have the room for that in our apt.. But ideally I would have gotten all the angels at the same time but i just upgraded from a 36 to a 50 and at the time I bought the angels didn't have enough space for the other angels

Back
Top Bottom