55 gallon freshwater angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well guys, I have lost several cories to a recent ich outbreak. My water change routine was off for a whole 2 weeks because of a new work schedule. I asked someone to cover me on them, but they didn't and I didn't find out right away. Sad.

I'm thinking of going with this list instead:
1 blue eyed l-144 pleco (currently in another tank, it's a wee baby)
1 rainbow shark
My 3 honey gourami (or 4 if I ever find another one)
And of course, angelfish.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If any of you have advice about this plan, I will value it!

I've heard of people having problems with gouaramis and angels a long with rainbow sharks. I can't say for sure as I've never mixed the three. And different fish have different personalities. So unless someone else chimes in I would say try and if it doesn't work just rehome the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I personally have had problems with Blue Gouramis in my tank I had to rehome all 10 they were great Fish very very entertaining always darting around chasing each other but just wreaked havoc on my Angels...constantly nipping them!...
PS: Great Advice/Info Andy as usual...I have had Angels my whole life and couldn't agree more with your prev. Info

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Angels are my favorite. When buying them, you want to get 6-10 juvies and wait for them to pair off. Once a pair if formed, you can take the others back to the store as the pair will get aggressive towards the rest. You may even get more than 1 pair, but no more than 2 pairs will work in that tank.

Tetras that are small will be fine at first, but then dinner when the angels get larger. I would get large tetras like black neons and have them present as the angels grow from juvies to adults.

Corys are nice with angels and do well as bottom feeders. They like to be in groups so get 5-6.

Id skip the barbs since they nip angels delicate fins more often than not.

I am no professional. I have been told that in Pairs, the gouramis and angel fish will not get along. I have a single gourami and angel fish in a 55 gallon who get along well. I also have a mono, who is the size of a quarter. He may be a problem one day. Lol He already thinks he is boss.

May the force be with you.

Thank you, all. :) Honey gourami are a lot nicer than the larger variety. However, I will definitely have extra tanks ready! I'm still researching that shark idea. Our last one was a sweetheart, and we miss him.

So, as an update, we're setting up another 55 soon. It will have tiny schooling fish, and my little honey gourami can move in if things don't work out with them and the angels. :)

Back
Top Bottom