55 Gallon Freshwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am moving my 55 gallon Salt Water FOWLR tank into a 120 gallon long tank. So I am going to have a 55 gallon tank with stand open up! I am excited about the possibilities and want to get back into a freshwater.

My first ever 29 gallon tank was a total disaster as both of my beloved clown loaches died on me because of Ich. (this of course, before I knew tank requirements). So I took my other fish back and closed down my tank for a LONG time. I had the itch again and started up the 29 gallon again, but this time as a salt water, from that point I have not looked back!

Thanks to this forum, I have had much success and have gained so much knowledge that I feel I can move forward again with a new freshwater tank.

I do not want this tank to be expensive ($300 equipment range), but rather a simple set up with a light that can grow some plants. I am also thinking of some Dicsus.

Here is my Idea for the set up.

Two HOB filters.

Amazon.com: AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter - for 60 to 110 Gallon: Pet Supplies

A heater rated for a 55 gallon tank, and of course the light.

Amazon.com: Odyssea 48" T5 HO Aquarium Light Dual Fluorescent Hood Fixture - Plant 2x54W: Pet Supplies

Then I would just get some easy plants like some Amazon Swords, and some of the Bamboo looking plants. Keep it Natural with some Drift wood, but keep a very open area for swim space.

I think 4 Discus fish, 4 Silver Dollars, 8 neon tetra's, and 4 Boesemani Rainbow fish.

That's about 20 fish, and with 2 big HOB filters I think that should be fine, being some are small, and the swim space would be more than enough. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help! I am open for suggestion, but I think the Discus fish are a must for the tank! So that is my starting point for stock! It can change after that. ;-p

I think I would just do the discus and drop the silver dollars...they will tear up the plants and get fairly large and with the discus I think that would be quite a few large fish for your tank...but other than that the stocking sounds good for plants you can also do some java ferns Bolbitis fern any type of aquatic moss some crypts anubias...just some suggestions

Don't do silver dollars and discus that's to much for a 55 gallon pick one.

I'd say that all sounds great! My 2 cents.. Swap cardinals for neons(health issues) and think about a different light, I have heard more negative than positive about Odysea products.

The discus will get too big for the tank so keep that in mind, also the bamboo will need to have it's leaves out of the water as it is not a fully aquatic plant. It will eventually start to rot and cause water issues. That doesn't mean you can't have a nice tank though. Get taller pieces, put the roots in your substrate, let the leaves poke out the top. I had a tank set up like that for a few years and had many compliments on it.

I'd say that all sounds great! My 2 cents.. Swap cardinals for neons(health issues) and think about a different light, I have heard more negative than positive about Odysea products.

I have have an Odysea now for my 120 gallon. Have had no issues as of yet, so I am hoping it will work out. It is a nice light, but I guess the issue is not how nice it is, but will it last? This is where people can not agree, some has had them for YEARS, while others only weeks. So far it's been 2 months with no issue! I like the timer on my unit that allows me to control all the lights individually.

The discus will get too big for the tank so keep that in mind, also the bamboo will need to have it's leaves out of the water as it is not a fully aquatic plant. It will eventually start to rot and cause water issues. That doesn't mean you can't have a nice tank though. Get taller pieces, put the roots in your substrate, let the leaves poke out the top. I had a tank set up like that for a few years and had many compliments on it.

Well, I may not get the bamboo than!

As far as Discus getting too big, I have had a guy that has kept them in a 55 for 9 years before he had issues with them dieing. I heard that their life span is around 10 or 12 years. I have also had many people that has kept them tell me 55 is perfect for their whole life as long as I do not overload the tank with too many. They said 5 is around the perfect number for a 55, anything more needs bigger. I only want four.

I know how to keep hard fish alive. I have a Saltwater tank, and I already do water changes on it weekly or bi-weekly. I got an RO unit, and none of my fish had died of bad water (3 because of jumping. :-( .

I was worried about doing Discus before because of how expensive they can be, but being I am already keeping very expensive Saltwater fish and that Saltwater is more difficult to keep up than any Discus tank, I think I can handle Discus!

Last edited:
I have have an Odysea now for my 120 gallon. Have had no issues as of yet, so I am hoping it will work out. It is a nice light, but I guess the issue is not how nice it is, but will it last? This is where people can not agree, some has had them for YEARS, while others only weeks. So far it's been 2 months with no issue! I like the timer on my unit that allows me to control all the lights individually.
I have no first hand experience, I am currently in the market and have done some research, a lot of the negatives are about them crapping out after a few months.. I don't know how handy you are but there is a beauty of a quad 4' t5ho at Home Depot for $80, would need to be wired in a custom canopy but boy did it shine!

I think I would just do the discus and drop the silver dollars...they will tear up the plants and get fairly large and with the discus I think that would be quite a few large fish for your tank...but other than that the stocking sounds good for plants you can also do some java ferns Bolbitis fern any type of aquatic moss some crypts anubias...just some suggestions

You think I should drop the Rainbows? They can be large as well, but not as large as 6 to 8in Discus when fully grown. 3in for them. I just know they like to school, and that's why I would by 4.

Well, I may not get the bamboo than!

As far as Discus getting too big, I have had a guy that has kept them in a 55 for 9 years before he had issues with them dieing. I heard that their life span is around 10 or 12 years. I have also had many people that has kept them tell me 55 is perfect for their whole life as long as I do not overload the tank with too many. They said 5 is around the perfect number for a 55, anything more needs bigger. I only want four.

I know how to keep hard fish alive. I have a Saltwater tank, and I already do water changes on it weekly or bi-weekly. I got an RO unit, and none of my fish had died of bad water (3 because of jumping. :-( .

I was worried about doing Discus before because of how expensive they can be, but being I am already keeping very expensive Saltwater fish and that Saltwater is more difficult to keep up than any Discus tank, I think I can handle Discus!

If you noticed, I said they will eventually get too big. Four fish that should get 8 inches fully grown shouldn't be in a 55 long term. Size and bio-load alone of those four fish can be an issue. Just because the guy did it and they survived doesn't mean they thrived. Two different things. Just because someone keeps an oscar in a 30 doesn't mean it should be done either, get my drift? You posted for advice, I gave you advice based on my years of experience and from seeing the mistakes others have done based on what they've seen others do. Discus are a beautiful and expensive fish, I certainly wouldn't want to put that much into a fish and not give it the best possible habitat. :)

If you noticed, I said they will eventually get too big. Four fish that should get 8 inches fully grown shouldn't be in a 55 long term. Size and bio-load alone of those four fish can be an issue. Just because the guy did it and they survived doesn't mean they thrived. Two different things. Just because someone keeps an oscar in a 30 doesn't mean it should be done either, get my drift? You posted for advice, I gave you advice based on my years of experience and from seeing the mistakes others have done based on what they've seen others do. Discus are a beautiful and expensive fish, I certainly wouldn't want to put that much into a fish and not give it the best possible habitat. :)

I can agree with giving the fish the best possible habitat, but when I first looked up Discus fish, Liveaquria (which is a very reliable source), stated a 55 is what they require. Even when I was first talking about Discus and their growth, people on this very forum said 55 or more depending on how many Discus you want to keep.

I have seen fully grown Discus in a 55 and they seemed happy and healthy with a lot of swim space. I have a Yellow Tang right now that is 8in in my 55 that I I know is not right for the guy because I know he will get larger and is more active. That is why I decided to upgrade to a 120 gallon long tank, so my Yellow Tang can grow to the proper size and be healthy for the rest of his life. In the 55 gallon he is stunted, but at his small size he seems like he has plenty of swim space for an 8in fish with no issues. A fully grown Discus will only get to the size of my Tang give or take an inch.

The people I have talked about has kept Discus for YEARS, some in bigger tanks and some in smaller. The ones in the smaller tanks were just temp for them to get started growing, they moved on to bigger tanks later. People with many years of Experience with Discus have told me a 55 will keep a small population of four Discus just fine with no stunting and no stress to the fish.

I am not trying to argue with you, I am just trying to discuss the issue and see why you say different. :p

That would be 55g PER fish, not 55g for four fish though, and it actually shows 50g per fish as a minimum tank size. So what your planning is putting four fish in less than the minimum that they require per fish. Again, like putting an oscar, than can get 12 inches, in a 30g tank where it doesn't have room.

Pigeon Blood Discus

Just be aware small discus are incredibly more difficult to keep alive than the bigger ones. If you plan on purchasing 2" discus be ready to keep up a vigorous water change schedule.
Also IMO a small tank like a 55 really doesn't capture the true beauty of discus. I take care of 4 large discus in a 140 at my lfs and they're incredible in it, I couldn't even picture them in a 55.

What about a 75 gallon for 4? I can just sale my 55 and get a 75. I got the stand already. That would not cost too much.

Bribo12

I am just so confused with all the information given. I got people that have been doing Discus for years telling me that a 55 gallon is great for only a few fully grown Discus as long as that's about the only fish you have. Than I got this place telling me no, so I don't know anymore. :p

I just might drop Discus and stick to Silver Dollars and a school of Neon Tetras and a few more other fish that get along. ;-p

Maybe I will just do a cichlid tank. LOL

I think you will be ok with a group of small discus in a 55. Just I think once they get big they look a lot better in a big tank lol. It is doable in a 55 though

How is it doable if the minimum requirement is 50g and the fish get 8 inches fully grown?

A standard 55g is only 12 inches wide, a standard 50g is 19 inches wide. That doesn't leave them very much room to move around if they get full size.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom