55 gallon help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stingray68

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am expecting a 55 gallon soon from my moms friend. I want to stock it with:
6-7 kuhli loaches
A black ghost knife
3-4 ottos

I would like to plant the tank and I am working on a plant list now.
For substrate I would like to use some kind of sand and I have read that black ghost knifes won't fade with bright sand. I have not found any light sand that has nutrients in it. I will use ferts but I don't want to have to do CO2.

Please tell me if I there is anything wrong with the stocking and please give me ideas for what sand substrate to use. Thanks

I just use pool filter sand. It's a nice color and I grow plants in it with root tabs and liquid ferts. I also do DIY co2 but you won't have to unless you have higher lighting

paytertot said:
I just use pool filter sand. It's a nice color and I grow plants in it with root tabs and liquid ferts. I also do DIY co2 but you won't have to unless you have higher lighting

Does the sand change the ph? And how many watts per gallon to make up for no co2?

It's more complicated than watts per gallon. I'm no expert on lighting but I know that peyton is one user on here who is pretty knowledgeable, try shooting them a pm. As far as the sand and ph, yes it raised my ph a little but since you have to cycle the tank first, you have plenty of time to do pwcs to lower it.

Stingray68 said:
Does the sand change the ph? And how many watts per gallon to make up for no co2?

Sand shouldn't change it too much.

Lighting depends on plants you want. You could do low light, medium light, high light. I have 108 watts of light on my60 g and can grow most medium light plants.

I think a dual t5 or even a t5 ho will be perfrct

George9 said:
Sand shouldn't change it too much.

Lighting depends inbwhst plants you want. You could do low light, medium light, high light. I have 108 watts of light on my60 g and can grow most medium light plants.

But are they T8 bulbs?

I guess sleep is not coming so here is a list of some plants that I like:

Amazon swords
Lace plants
Water sprite
Corkscrew vall.
Java fern
Anubias
Anacharis
Alternanthera lilicina
Flame, Christmas, and willow moss
Frogbit
Onion
Banana plant
Crinum Calimistratum
African water fern

Stingray68 said:
That looks amazing.

Ikr? It absolutely took off in my tank and my discus like the cover. It's a great background tank.
As for your other plants, I recognise some of them. Things like java fern and anubias will grow easily. Swords look great but need root tabs (no big deal) because they are heavy root feeders.

Stingray68 said:
I think I am going to do most medium light plants but use some frogbit to cover some low light plants.

Great, the frogbit will make good cover. So would the crispus if you liked it enough to get one lol.

For substrate I have read that play sand is clayish and it it is good for planting so could I use that root tabs and liquid ferts to get the plants the nutrients with play sand

No prob lol. I went by price and the cheapest for me was pfs and it settles quickly but play sand I don't know much about besides that it also works well. I can't remember which sand variety it is that tends to be more dusty tho. Just make sure you wash it well :)

Back
Top Bottom