55 Gallon Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1998golfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to probably get a 55 gallon tank with stand here soon. It will not be my first fish setup, but my first was a 10 gallon with mollies, zebra danios, and platys. A few years ago my tank sprung a leak and i gave away my fish. Well, now I want to get into it again.
So, here is my plan.
Getting a 55 gallon off of craigslist, 100$ with stand etc. My plans are to make a sump, a fluidized bed filter with 10 liters of k1 kaldnes. I'm thinking a 20 or 30 gallon sump...
So I was wondering if that was the right amount of kaldnes or if i needed a bigger sump, etc. For the return pump I was thinking of Submersible Pump 160 1325 GPH Aquarium Fish Tank Fountain Water Hydroponic | eBay , the 795gph kind to account for head.

I was wondering how to make an overflow, it is not drilled but I am considering drilling it (on the side). I dont really want an overflow box, could i just drill a hole in the back and run a pipe through it? Like an elbow to empty the water? I also saw a video at Saltwater Aquarium Project, 65 gallon - Overflow and Sump Design (part 1) - YouTube and thought an overflow like that would be cool. Thoughts?

I want to keep some angelfish, how many do you think I could keep in the tank? And comments or suggestions would be immensely appreciated

Thanks,
-1998golfer

Just had a new idea, thoughts?

No overflow, but a canister filter from tank to sump, and another one from sump back to tank.

i would be concerned that if one of them stalls the other will overfill one of the tanks. and even if both going how will you make sure they both have exactly the same flow rate? i'm obviously not experienced with this yet, but frankly a sump with gravity discharge and a single pump to return water to main tank seems like the most natural solution.
my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom