55 Gallon marine tank in the desert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkillgore

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just moved to Tucson Arizona from South Florida. Currently I have a 55 gal and a 20 gal both empty. I am having trouble in two areas. First does anyone know a good place to buy marine fish and equipment in my area? And second, I want the 55 gal to be a reef tank and I need an economical lighting solution that would allow for good coral growth. Any help for either of these two issues would be great. Thanks in advance.

Keep plenty of RO topoff water on hand.. in georgia I lose ~1 gallon per day in a 55 with a big sump. You may want to invest in a RO unit with an auto-topoff.

I have a 48" coralife PC fixture on my tank.. 260 watts of light, but not enough for the hard stuff. You would need Halides for that. There is a cheep set of halides at www.aquatraders.com that looks pretty good for the price..

also, 2 VHO or t-5's is an option. You do not have to have more than 4 wpg on a 55 gallon tank unless you are going to be growing extremely high light need corals.

I don't know what you would find in the way of decent salt stores down there in Tucson but the Phoenix area has quite a few decent ones. Pets Inc in Tempe sells both FW and SW and usually has a good selection of fish, inverts and other reef critters.
What part of Tucson? I grew up there and my parents live in Marana(NW part of Tucson) and it only takes 90 minutes to drive from here in Chandler to Marana.

sahuarita area and so far I have only been able to find one place (majestic sea life) which I have not scouted out yet.

I usually shop Aquarium Arts in Mesa and Pets Inc. in Tempe. These are about the only places I use locally other than buying online. Living in the desert I needed to buy a chiller to keep the temp under 82.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom