55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jozefsanders

Aquarium Advice Regular
First I got my tank View attachment 275036

Then I put it on a old stand that I painted too make it look like an old tableView attachment 275037

When my tank was on the stand I got my first round of water from my LFS and some crushed coral/sand and added it too my tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436640982.634974.jpg

A week later my reef octopus BH-300 HOB skimmer which cleared the tank in one hour which is good.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436640933.060820.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quite limited on money so I'm thinking of buying a aquaray aquabar colour plus which is ok for low light corals but I might get another one at a later date.

Have you looked at the taotronics units? Two will cover the tank and are really cheap for being able to keep anything photosynthetic under them you'd ever want. Something to think about I guess.

why would you want to pay twice for a light that will need to be replaced , for the cost of that light why not spend the few extra bucks and buy yourself a good light ,in the long run you will be saving money , I started with 1 over my 90g 4ft tank it gave full coverage to begin with than I got another over short period of time
I have these lights and love them been thinking about buying 2 more for my other tanks,
http://www.amazon.com/Galaxyhydro-t...sbs_199_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DT5PVDNYTNVQK9GK4G2

54 seaweed how are the lights fixed is it on the back or on the sides.

Unfortunately I can't do anything to he walls so I have to have something that attaches to the side

Bought a background which is just plain blackImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436712463.066062.jpg

It also hides some of the equipment like heaters and pumps

You could always put a bar or two coming up from the back or side of the stand going above the tank in an upside down "L" shape. There are ways you can mount those lights without going into the wall. They're great lights IMO.

So I bought a fluval 306 for extra filtration ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436810929.859982.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436810946.236066.jpg

Which I hope improves the water quality.

Does anyone have any stocking ideas for a 55 gallon reef tank I want fish that will be colourful and good swimmers

A few weeks later I got my tmc aquabar rail and the side mounts but my LFS ordered the wrong lights so they are coming in a few days.

When I got my rail I went and got my water tested my nitrates were high-ish and my ammonia was almost 0 so the LFS guy said I'm at the end or beginning of my cycle so I made a decision that if I'm at the start of my cycle I will get some live rock but if I'm at the end I will get some that won't start a mini cycle and maybe get some fish

Only the future will tell.

Back
Top Bottom