55 Gallon Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking for some advice. I'm setting up a 55 gallon planted tank. I will be using a T8 shop light fixture. My initial thought process is to get 2 40W tubes. Would you guys point me in the right direction as far as brands and color temp? Is there any benefit to mixing color temps - like one 6500K and 1 18000K?

Thanks

Lighting Question

Good morning don...

I've always used 32 watt, T5, 6500 K bulbs. I was told several years ago, the 6500 K bulb best mimics natural daylight and is recommended for growing aqautic plants. I have several 55 G tanks and the lighting has worked well.

This particular bulb can be picked up at the local hardware store pretty cheaply. Lighting is really pretty simple. Just add or subtract bulbs according to plant requirements. This approach should work very well with your shop light setup.

B

Thanks, B. Looking at some 40W 6700K T8s. Sounds like they will do the trick. What benefit or problems are there with a 18,000K bulb? I see a Aqua Glo bulb that is reasonably priced that says it enhances red and blue coloration.

Nevermind. I see now. That will just put off a purpleish glow in the tank. Don't want that. Looks like anything 6500K to 10,000K is good color wise. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom