55 Gallon Start Up Help with Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crtc_01

Aquarium Advice Regular
On Dec 19th I started a 55gal freshwater aquarium with a sand bottom. I have a API Filstar-L canister filter with 43bio stars in the middles basket. I got a used filter media from my local fish store and added it to the middle basket with the bio stars. Turned the heater up to 82deg and dosed pure ammonia up to 4ppm and added sea chem prime. On Dec 24th i noticed nitrites were off the charts. I drained 30gal roughly and dosed ammonia back up and nitrites were around 5ppm/nitrates 15ppm. I went out of town and checked again on Dec30. My ammonia was at .25ppm and nitrites off the charts. I drained most of the water on Dec30th, dosed ammonia to 3ppm and the next morning nitrites were of the charts. I drained the tank again and checked nitrites, I believe they were at 5ppm. and ammonia at 3ppm. Jan 1 to Jan 3 the ammonia was at .25-.50ppm after 24hrs and nitrites were off the charts. Each morning I dosed ammonia up to 3-4ppm. I drained the tank again on Jan 3. On Jan 4th my nitrites were still off the charts. This morning I drained roughly 15gal. Dosed ammonia and added one capfull of seachem prime. I will also say my well water has no ammonia, nitirite or nitartes and the PH has stayed constant aroun 8.0 Should I just led the tank go? Not sure how I can get the nitrite down to a readable level. Thanks for any help/

On Dec 19th I started a 55gal freshwater aquarium with a sand bottom. I have a API Filstar-L canister filter with 43bio stars in the middles basket. I got a used filter media from my local fish store and added it to the middle basket with the bio stars. Turned the heater up to 82deg and dosed pure ammonia up to 4ppm and added sea chem prime. On Dec 24th i noticed nitrites were off the charts. I drained 30gal roughly and dosed ammonia back up and nitrites were around 5ppm/nitrates 15ppm. I went out of town and checked again on Dec30. My ammonia was at .25ppm and nitrites off the charts. I drained most of the water on Dec30th, dosed ammonia to 3ppm and the next morning nitrites were of the charts. I drained the tank again and checked nitrites, I believe they were at 5ppm. and ammonia at 3ppm. Jan 1 to Jan 3 the ammonia was at .25-.50ppm after 24hrs and nitrites were off the charts. Each morning I dosed ammonia up to 3-4ppm. I drained the tank again on Jan 3. On Jan 4th my nitrites were still off the charts. This morning I drained roughly 15gal. Dosed ammonia and added one capfull of seachem prime. I will also say my well water has no ammonia, nitirite or nitartes and the PH has stayed constant aroun 8.0 Should I just led the tank go? Not sure how I can get the nitrite down to a readable level. Thanks for any help/

It's not surprising that you keep finding nitrite off the charts if you are using the API master test kit. When 1ppm Ammonia is nitrified by bacteria, the result is 2.7ppm nitrite so for example 3 ppm ammonia would equal around 8.1ppm nitrite. The API test kit reads a maximum of 5ppm. I would stop dosing ammonia for a while now and let nitrites come down on their own. It would appear that nitrites are now being nitrified if you are registering some nitrate. You are probably around 2-2.5 weeks in to your cycle? You may have to be patient for nitrites to begin to fall on their own. When they are down to zero you can add 4ppm ammonia once more and the time it takes for ammonia and nitrite to drop will be much shorter which will indicate you are ready to add fish. When adding fish stock slowly as a precaution. Also note that 4ppm ammonia may produce up to 15ppm nitrate so do one last water change before adding fish.

Once fish are added take it slow and keep things simple. You will be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's not surprising that you keep finding nitrite off the charts if you are using the API master test kit. When 1ppm Ammonia is nitrified by bacteria, the result is 2.7ppm nitrite so for example 3 ppm ammonia would equal around 8.1ppm nitrite. The API test kit reads a maximum of 5ppm. I would stop dosing ammonia for a while now and let nitrites come down on their own. It would appear that nitrites are now being nitrified if you are registering some nitrate. You are probably around 2-2.5 weeks in to your cycle? You may have to be patient for nitrites to begin to fall on their own. When they are down to zero you can add 4ppm ammonia once more and the time it takes for ammonia and nitrite to drop will be much shorter which will indicate you are ready to add fish. When adding fish stock slowly as a precaution. Also note that 4ppm ammonia may produce up to 15ppm nitrate so do one last water change before adding fish.

Once fish are added take it slow and keep things simple. You will be alright.

Thanks for the advice. I have tested Nitrates a few other times and they were off the charts as well so i stopped testing. I kept dosing ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. I will stop today and continue to monitor. Is there another test kit that will read nitrites higher than 5ppm? Thanks again.

Ammonia consuming bacteria typically can go at least a week without ammonia :)

I think only electronic meters will read higher than that, but typically you won't need to read that high nitrite.

Thanks for the advice. I have tested Nitrates a few other times and they were off the charts as well so i stopped testing. I kept dosing ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. I will stop today and continue to monitor. Is there another test kit that will read nitrites higher than 5ppm? Thanks again.

There's no real reason to measure above 5ppm, as far as API are concerned, the value is an indication for toxicity to livestock rather than a cycling tool but it is one of the better test kits I believe.

I read a study once where cultured bacteria that received no ammonia for up to 3 months immediately began to nitrify ammonia when a source was added. This may have been longer if the length of study permitted.

In short, I wouldn't worry about ammonia dying off.

Just checked the readings and ammonia looks to be around 2 or 3 and nitrites off the charts nitrates around 10-20ppm. I have a hard time with APIs colors. I have included a picture. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 89
Just checked the readings and ammonia looks to be around 2 or 3 and nitrites off the charts nitrates around 10-20ppm. I have a hard time with APIs colors. I have included a picture. Thanks

I don't think there's a need to keep draining your tank unless you were doing a fish in cycle which you're not because you're adding ammonia. Basically all I did when cycling a tank was add ammonia, check it daily. If it was 2-3 I'd leave it, I checked for nitrites and if they were off the charts that was fine. Then I checked nitrates. Once I dosed my tank to 3ppm ammonia and it was gone and the nitrites were gone within 24 hours and turned to nitrates I knew my tank was ready. At this point my nitrates would be off the charts so I would do large water changes until it was an acceptable level. Then added fish. They've been going strong ever since. Just added them to a 46 gallon bowfront a couple days ago with the old and new filter running and they're doing awesome.

Plenty of ammonia in there, just let it roll on its own for a bit and take down what it has.

Caleb

Thanks for the advice. I checked this morning and ammonia dropped to 0/.25ppm and nitrites still unreadable. I didn't dose ammonia and will keep checking nitrites, hopefully they start falling soon.

Just cheeked today and ammonia is at 0, nitrites are deep purple and nitrates are at 40. I will check again in a few days and if the nitrates rise that would mean nitrites are being converted and should be falling? Thanks.

Just cheeked today and ammonia is at 0, nitrites are deep purple and nitrates are at 40. I will check again in a few days and if the nitrates rise that would mean nitrites are being converted and should be falling? Thanks.

Yes indeedy :)

Just checked this morning and nitrites were .25 to .50ppm. I added 5ml of pure ammonia and will see how long it takes to drop both ammonia and nitrites to 0. Hopefully the cycle is nearing the end. Just need to figure out what to stock the tank with?

Just checked this morning and nitrites were .25 to .50ppm. I added 5ml of pure ammonia and will see how long it takes to drop both ammonia and nitrites to 0. Hopefully the cycle is nearing the end. Just need to figure out what to stock the tank with?

Good stuff :)

Today I am 23days into the cycle. 2 days ago I dosed ammonia to 2/3ppm and after 24hours I had 1ppm and nitrites were 5plus. Today I have .5ppm ammonia and nitrites are still 5plus. Guess I still have a little ways to go.

Today I am 23days into the cycle. 2 days ago I dosed ammonia to 2/3ppm and after 24hours I had 1ppm and nitrites were 5plus. Today I have .5ppm ammonia and nitrites are still 5plus. Guess I still have a little ways to go.

It's progressing as to be expected. This is looking like a fairly normal cycle. Perhaps another week or more I would imagine.

It's progressing as to be expected. This is looking like a fairly normal cycle. Perhaps another week or more I would imagine.

Thanks. Its hard to look at a empty tank for a month. Hopefully I can stock it in a week or two.

Thought I would give a update. Since i dosed ammonia on Jan. 9 to 2/3ppm it took two days to fall to zero. Nitrites rose off the charts and then on the 13th I was able to read it at 2/5ppm. This morning it was a lighter shade of purple and around .50/1ppm. Nitrates are now 80+ so everything is moving right along. Hopefully by tomorrow the nitrites are 0 at which point i will dose ammonia to 3/4ppm and by next week I have a cycled tank. I plan on stocking it with 2 angelfish, 4 rams, 6 corys and 20 schooling fish. Probably two different schools of 10, maybe tetras. Would it be a problem to stock the tank all at once?

Thought I would give a update. Since i dosed ammonia on Jan. 9 to 2/3ppm it took two days to fall to zero. Nitrites rose off the charts and then on the 13th I was able to read it at 2/5ppm. This morning it was a lighter shade of purple and around .50/1ppm. Nitrates are now 80+ so everything is moving right along. Hopefully by tomorrow the nitrites are 0 at which point i will dose ammonia to 3/4ppm and by next week I have a cycled tank. I plan on stocking it with 2 angelfish, 4 rams, 6 corys and 20 schooling fish. Probably two different schools of 10, maybe tetras. Would it be a problem to stock the tank all at once?

Great stuff! This is a good example of how to do a cycle and you have shown good patience which can cause a lot of unnecessary problems during a cycle if you are inpatient. I can really comment in the stocking because it is not my area. I tend to let other people answer as they tend to have had more experience with a wider range of fish and compatibles.

for what its worth in my 55g i am cycling right now i plan on stocking
12 glo tetras,
6-8 guppies of some sort
10-12 black kuhli loaches
and either 2 GBR's or 2 angels as my centerpiece

this was all on recommendation from Sinibotia :)

Back
Top Bottom