55 Gallon Start Up Help with Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then I guess you are all set! Only advice I can get you on that is too choose fish wisely. Don't choose fish from sickly looking tanks etc and/or quarantine fish also. Although the point of fishless cycling for many is so they can stock all at one but personally I would still stock slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Then I guess you are all set! Only advice I can get you on that is too choose fish wisely. Don't choose fish from sickly looking tanks etc and/or quarantine fish also. Although the point of fishless cycling for many is so they can stock all at one but personally I would still stock slowly.

Great advice... While i am still a novice myself, i intend on introducing each group in full after spending a week to 2 weeks in a smaller quarantine tank..

I utilized 4 glo tetras in my 10g tank to Fish-In cycle, and as luck would have it, its just about on pace with my 55g im doing Fish-Less cycling..

So throw the 4 tetras in the 55g, and add the 8 glo tetras to the quarantine

then dunk the 8 in the 55g and add the guppies to the quarantine, etc. etc.

i figure it will take a 6 weeks to fully stock my tank when its all said and done

That way i can monitor water parameters

The biggest problem I have is my LFS closed on Jan 1 and is only selling whole sale. They can order what I want or I can order line. Petsolutions.com looks like it has gotten some good reviews from users. If I order online it is cheaper to purchase all at once.

The biggest problem I have is my LFS closed on Jan 1 and is only selling whole sale. They can order what I want or I can order line. Petsolutions.com looks like it has gotten some good reviews from users. If I order online it is cheaper to purchase all at once.

You can purchase all at once but there is nothing stoping you from quarantining. You can add a shoal to the main tank and some to a quarantine tank.

IME 95% of fish related diseases can be spotted in store. For example, if a tank in store has visually healthy fish the chances of them developing something in your tank are massively reduced not impossible but reduced. Other diseases like Ich can go unnoticed due to their life cycle but it's easy to treat.

Thanks for all your help. This morning nitrites were below .25ppm but above 0. Looked like the blue has a slight tint of purple. I dosed to 4ppm and am hoping both ammonia and nitrites are gone in 36-48hours.

Thanks for all your help. This morning nitrites were below .25ppm but above 0. Looked like the blue has a slight tint of purple. I dosed to 4ppm and am hoping both ammonia and nitrites are gone in 36-48hours.

Excellent :) can you give me the total cycle time once it's complete please for my records.

Thanks

Just got back today and checked the levels. 0ammonia/2nitrites. I guess its good, but not what I hoped. Using your formula of 2.7ppm for every 1ppm I would have had around 11ppm nitrites total. I dosed 3.5 days ago so hopefully tomorrow nitrites are lower.

Excellent :) can you give me the total cycle time once it's complete please for my records.

Thanks

Success. 33days was the total time. This morning I was able to process 4ppm ammonia in 24hrs and the converted Nitrites in 2 1/2days. The tank only had sand and the rock in for the cycle. I just added the fake plants a few days ago. I am going to start water changes today to bring the nitrates down and start stocking the tank this weekend. I will take your advice and start with the 6/8 cory, and the schooling fish. After a week I will add the angelfish and possible the german rams. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 43
So glad for you. Excellent patience and your complete cycle time falls perfectly with my research. Thanks for reporting back and enjoy your newly cycled tank!

One thing to note, you probably know this. Ram owners correct me if I'm wrong.

Rams prefer higher temps than most fish. The only commonly available Corydoras that is suitable for a ram tank are Corydoras sterbai.

The only tetra that's commonly available that likes those temps as far as I know are Cardinal Tetras.

Rams need hiding places so they can set up territories and having two pairs in one tank I believe you need a few different hiding areas ?

They also prefer lower PH depending on what water they were bred in.

It certainly sounds like you're trying to do everything right and you probably already know all this stuff but I wanted to throw it out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to note, you probably know this. Ram owners correct me if I'm wrong.

Rams prefer higher temps than most fish. The only commonly available Corydoras that is suitable for a ram tank are Corydoras sterbai.

The only tetra that's commonly available that likes those temps as far as I know are Cardinal Tetras.

Rams need hiding places so they can set up territories and having two pairs in one tank I believe you need a few different hiding areas ?

They also prefer lower PH depending on what water they were bred in.

It certainly sounds like you're trying to do everything right and you probably already know all this stuff but I wanted to throw it out there

I don't know much about the fish and have just started to learn. I don't need rams and could do the pair of angel fish, the corys and a few other species. My local fish store closed and went wholesale. I was talking to the guy and he would order what I need but I have trouble getting in touch with him. PETCO seems ok. They suggested no tetras with the angelfish. My PH is around 7.8 and the KH is 10.

You can have Tetras with Angels, but they need to be larger than Neons or wider body shape. So they don't fit in adult Angel's mouth.

Bleeding Hearts or Lemon Tetras work.

Harlequin Rasboras are another thought.

I have neons in with an Angel and never an issue , most were very small when I had gotten them as well ; I guess I am one of the lucky ones that does not have an issue.

I had a pair of angels as a teen that killed ANYTHING else I put in the tank....from what I've read, that's the “norm” for pairs. However, I know many people who only have 1 angel in community tanks that include small schooling fish such as neons without any issues...

I'd say, if you want 1 angel, you should be fine. But it's possible for it to be aggressive so keep an eye on it.

It has been four days and all fish seem healthy and active, except for the brighter colored DG. The brighter colored DG likes to hide in the rock cave or behind the plants. It will come out every now. I have been feeding the fish twice a day around the same time and everyone eats but the brighter colored DG. He has been fed once he comes out and up to the surface. Also the corys are all over the place and like to swim up to the surface and around the tank?

Back
Top Bottom